AQS Paducah

Old 08-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Default AQS Paducah

Wow did you see this from AQS?

As a result of record-breaking turnout over multiple consecutive years, the American Quilter’s Society has recently added a second AQS QuiltWeek in Paducah beginning in the fall of 2017.

http://www.paducah.travel/quilting/aqs-quiltweek-paducah/
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I heard about that when in Paducah for the show this past Spring... Two big shows a year. I guess they realize there is enough support to make all that money two weeks a year, instead of one. Ha ha.... There is a hotel being built right next to the convention center, too. It will most likely be ready sometime in 2017.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Motels are booking now for April 2017. I booked a room today down the road from Hancock's of Paduach, only three left in that hotel when I booked. The price of course is higher for quilt week. One good thing, cancellation is free until day of booking as they know the rooms will be scooped up immediately. If not free until then don't book there in advance, they will not have any rooms left empty so no need to have a cancellation charge.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 AM

I know a group of quilters in Tennessee, Georgia and surrounding states that are not to happy about that because AQS will no longer host a quilt week in Chattanooga, TN.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM

I am a fairly new quilter. I am self taught from those cool YouTube videos. I have always wanted to go to Paducah and just two weeks ago booked a room at the Harrah's in Metropolis. It was at the time the only place I could find where I did not have to book for two or three nights. I am not sure what to expect when I go but at least this year I made better plans and at least have a room.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:09 AM

I went to Paducah over the summer and they were all talking about it up there. Had a wonderful time when it wasn't Quilt week. I can't imagine the crowds during the week. The Hampton Inn is just down from Hancock's and Wow, it's the most I have ever paid for a Hampton. Can't imagine it their prices go up that week.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Personally, I think that having another quilt show in Paducah is a wonderful idea. The last ti,e I was there was just after the big ice storm that devastated Paducah - you could see it everywhere. We were in Cracker Barrell having lunch when a gentleman who lived in Paducah came over to ask,if we were there for the show. When we said yes, he thanked us profusely for coming to the show as having all these quilters come to Paducahhas helped their economy a great deal.

And about those who live near Chattanooga - I'm sorry if the show is not coming back. We had one down in Charlotte 2 years ago but it has not come back. I've been told by vendors from other non-AQS shows that usually the particular show does not return because it just wasn't profitable enough for the vendors and also.possibly for AQS if not enough people came to the show. What we may think is a big crowd doesn't always translate into a profitable show for those vendors. I always go to the Lancasted show and hope it will continue for a long, long time. I'd love to get back to Paducah - it's a long trip from my part of NC - but maybe next fall,I can talk some friends into committing to going (fingers crossed!!!)

Sandy in Mooresville, NC