Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Big price hike !!!!

  1. #1
    dawsondelights
    Guest

    Big price hike !!!!

    I went back into Everything Calico after she had done her $3.00 a yd.grand opening on all her fabrics.Well I thought not bad she only raised the price to $4.00 a yd. Still a great bargain.Imagine the sticker shock I got when I went into the site today & all fabric is now $8.00 a yard.Guess I won't be shopping there again.I ordered once during the grand opening & for $3.00 a yard I was OK with it ,although alot was from Joanns.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Posts
    171
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is a big price increase and pretty hard to swallow. Unfortunately for me, it would still be a great deal as in my neck of the woods good quality cottons are running anywhere from $12.99 to $21.99 per meter ( 39 inches in length as opposed to 36 inches in a yard). Fortunately, there are some great online site that have much better prices (even including the shipping charges and border duties).

    Kathie
    Nova Scotia
    Canada

  3. #3
    Super Member Just Me...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,908
    $3/yard is waaaaay less than cost if the fabrics are all new. She would go out of business if she left them there! If they are used or consignment-type items....that is a different story. If they are fresh bolts, I get it.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks for letting us know, I was thinking about going out there to see if she had any new stuff but looked like the same as when she started. I will be taking it off my list, I got some from her when she first opened and was a little disappointed that everything was Joann's.

  5. #5
    Super Member Favorite Fabrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Posts
    4,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ummm... you do know that quilt-shop fabrics cost around $5.50 / yard at the wholesale level. Even if you get them when discontinued, they're still at or above $3 / yard, plus shipping. So... the only thing this shop could possibly be selling at that price point is - you guessed it - the same fabrics that you will find at the chain stores, among their budget choices.

  6. #6
    Super Member solstice3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    West Central Florida
    Posts
    8,681
    I never went and checked the site. Did he/she originally advertise as $8 fabric on sale for $3 or did he/she lead you to believe that this was the standard price?

  7. #7
    Super Member Roberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    China, ME.
    Posts
    2,250
    Blog Entries
    1

    Prices on material

    Quote Originally Posted by KathieS View Post
    That is a big price increase and pretty hard to swallow. Unfortunately for me, it would still be a great deal as in my neck of the woods good quality cottons are running anywhere from $12.99 to $21.99 per meter ( 39 inches in length as opposed to 36 inches in a yard). Fortunately, there are some great online site that have much better prices (even including the shipping charges and border duties).

    Kathie
    Nova Scotia
    Canada
    Kathie you're close enough to Maine to make a weekend trip to any Marden's store and find fabric, most is well under $6 per yard and most in the $3.99-$4.99 range. We see cars from NS in the parking lot all the time and there are many different store to chose from in different parts of the state. Heck, even tour buses from Canada are in the lots at times.

  8. #8
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    HOOD CANAL, WASH
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by dawsondelights View Post
    I went back into Everything Calico after she had done her $3.00 a yd.grand opening on all her fabrics.Well I thought not bad she only raised the price to $4.00 a yd. Still a great bargain.Imagine the sticker shock I got when I went into the site today & all fabric is now $8.00 a yard.Guess I won't be shopping there again.I ordered once during the grand opening & for $3.00 a yard I was OK with it ,although alot was from Joanns.
    I'm very confused about this store. I find these prices to be very low since every LQS I go into have prices from $7.99 to $12.99 & even up to $16.99. Now we're talking HIGH prices. What am I missing?

  9. #9
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,671
    Blog Entries
    2
    Why buy from a rep when you can buy direct from a fabric warehouse? The fabric is less then $4 a yard.
    Got fabric?

  10. #10
    Super Member LynnVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I'm very confused about this store. I find these prices to be very low since every LQS I go into have prices from $7.99 to $12.99 & even up to $16.99. Now we're talking HIGH prices. What am I missing?
    Pat, I think the point is that she is not selling quilt shop fabrics, just lower priced goods from chain stores.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.