Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Choosing quilting as a career seems to be the way to go. >

Choosing quilting as a career seems to be the way to go.

Choosing quilting as a career seems to be the way to go.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Default Choosing quilting as a career seems to be the way to go.

One quilt instructor for Crafty quilt class posted that she had over 7000 people sign up for her class so far. Her class is $19.99. (very reasonable for a quilt class that I usually pay much more when a teacher comes to our guild). Say the instructor gets 30%. Not bad for a few hour class even at 20%. One day I was bored and added up several well known quilter instructors days on their online calendars for workshops and lectures scheduled for the year. It's one big income! I'm not complaining, they earn it by traveling and putting up with all kinds of people all the time. Just interesting to know the money most well known quilt instructors make. No kids at home and a DH that can take care of himself, being a good quilt speaker, loves people, teach a decent workshop and you have the makings of a fun and lucrative career
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Sounds good, were I younger I would think about something like this. At +70 now I just enjoy being at home and poking along at a gentler pace. You're right, though, they do earn their $$$$$

Thanks for this article,

delma
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Delma_paulk, I agree with you. At 66 and raising Rat Terriers and with an 80 year old husband who is needy for many things (help with with this or that) finding time to sew in any form is hard, and lack of space to make it worse, but if I was 20 years younger, that would be different. Happy new Years and have a great weekend.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

The article posted elsewhere about Craftsy says the instructors get 10 to 15%. Still, not bad, plus there's no reason the class can't be repeated/offered numerous times...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Better for the teachers to be able to teach on Craftsy than to travel. I follow Bonnie Hunter on her travels and honestly, as a veteran business traveler I give her tons of credit. It is extremely tiring to keep the pace she keeps. And while it all looks glamorous, new cities, new people, the restaurants, the sights....there comes a time when all you want is your own bed, your own food and total quiet. Those pro-quilters earn their money!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Thankfully I am now retired, but when I was working, I had to travel a LOT for my job. I have a self-sufficient DH and our kids are grown and gone, but after a while, I wanted my bed, my tv, my dog and on occasion, a chance to piddle in my own kitchen. Traveling all the time isn't all it's cracked up to be. I can firmly attest to that!