Closing

Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 AM

Default Closing

Our local fabric/quilting store, "What's Your Stitch 'N Stuff" is closing today. We will miss them. They sold good quality fabrics and always were very helpful when I had questions.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 AM

I feel your pain! Ours closed 2 years ago. I still miss them and all my friends that used to gather there. It had been in business 42 years.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Vat

We just had yet another quilt shop to close, that is two in the past few months. We are slowly running out of places to shop for nice quilting fabric.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM

I know how you feel - mine closed about 2 years ago and yes, I still miss the owners and the friends I met there. So sad.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Wow..Seems like a lot of stores are going out of business...Scarey.....
Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM

are they having a sale, and can you order online?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Mine is in the "selling out" process and will close in another week. I'm so sad to see this happen!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM

My quilt store is closing this month. It has been a place for sharing and learning, for friendship and support, in addition to a great selection of high quality quilting fabrics, patterns and notions. It is sad. I learned early in my quilting years that it is foolish to waste a lot of time sewing on inferior fabrics that will not hold up. It is up to us, quilters, who live near a wonderful store to shop there and support the small business owner who is trying to survive in this economy.
For me it is too late, but for others SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 AM

It seems like every time I find a new LQS (now not so local), they close within a year. Very sad for them, and the folks who work for them, too. I don't know if it's just bad management or a sign of the times, but they seem less likely to make it than restaurants. I resisted online shopping at first, but now I'm grateful for the options ....
Old 01-19-2014, 06:19 PM

As someone who recently closed their "physical" store within the last few months and moved back home and online for the retail portion of the business, I have to give some "insight" into quilt store closings.

Owners (mostly renters) pay anywhere from $500-$2000 per month for rent, insurance, utilities. Add to that costs of advertising (word of mouth is ALWAYS appreciated), cost of goods to sell (quality fabric costs anywhere from $5 and yard a up WHOLESALE price )plus add in the cost of shipping to recoup and buying enough inventory to keep the store current and people interested. Then there are samples to find the time to make, classes to come up with that hopefully people will sign up for and buy other things in the meantime, finding the time to "do it all yourself because when you have others help you or you "hire them" even if you are paying them with fabric or other store inventory- you are legally resposnsible for their different taxes to report etc. etc. etc.

Yes, we should support local small quilt businesses, but in the end many are closing because of rising costs and not enough sales to cover those costs and to make a fair profit to survive.

I'm fortunate to have a good and still growing long arm customer and memory quilt business base. I still get to have contact with people and help them out with any questions. I jut hope the time, money and effort to get my online store up and running and maintaining it daily picks up in the next months.