Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Clutter's Last Stand >

Clutter's Last Stand

Clutter's Last Stand

Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 AM

I have his book and have read it several times. When we moved this last time, I got rid of tons of stuff that I had no room for and decided to let them go. I still look at an object and if I feel my heartstrings sing, I keep it. It's my house and my stuff and I clean it and I'll keep it ! My fabric and books are the biggest obstacles to having a really simple home.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 AM

As I see my clutter, some of it has to do with inflation and the fact that everything's packaged. You can't just buy one of what you need. It must be purchased in a package of 87!!!!.....(eh...slight exaggeration). And that package costs an arm and a leg. So, you use the one that you needed and you're left with the remaining 86 which you now have to create a space for because somewhere down the road you'll need one or two another time and by then those 87 will cost twice again as much!!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Stored stuff is just organized clutter. My sewing room being the exception or course. Clean a clean house and you never have housework. I don't spend all day cleaning. About 30 min a day for upkeep. I hire someone do the bigger labor chores now that I'm older. I'll read this book. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Which is something that the author, Don Aslett, is trying to point out.
I'm pretty good about picking up after myself. DH on the other hand...not so much. He was really good when we had regular cleaning people after I explained to him they could put his stuff where he'd never find it again or he could put it away himself. Now that we don't have external cleaning folks, I don't get the same level of response from him. It's a challenge.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The hubs and I ask ourselves if we have any sentimental attachment to it. I came across a box of stuff this afternoon and got rid of what was given to me (80%) of the box. Donated to SAlvation Army. Little knicky knacks. Ugh!!
I rarely keep things just out of sentimental attachment. If I look at it and think it's ugly or I just don't want it, it goes in the charity bag. If I have no sentimental attachment at all, but look at it and really like it and want to have it in my house to see I keep it.

That being said, I have a picture of sort of ancestor who is possibly one of the homeliest women I've ever seen and reportedly not all that nice, but I still have it. Granted its in the closet behind the clothes, but it just seems sort of sacrilegious to just toss her out! I may have Grandma Brue around forever.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by daisydawg View Post
I think I need to check this author out. I have been doing some decluttering but I know I can use some new ideas.
That is my thoughts and I need plenty of help, just requested it from my library.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out and see if I can get it on my kindle. If not, online first. I'm always looking for a new way to declutter permanently.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM

This was one of my favorite "go to" books. I have to refer to it several times throughout the years.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM

Emotional baggage is heavy weight. My sister and I talk about this problem often. Recognize the problem but ...
Old 05-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I'm pretty good about picking up after myself. DH on the other hand...not so much. He was really good when we had regular cleaning people after I explained to him they could put his stuff where he'd never find it again or he could put it away himself. Now that we don't have external cleaning folks, I don't get the same level of response from him. It's a challenge.
LOL, just tell him that YOU will put his stuff where he can't find it.