Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Continuous Bias Binding >

Continuous Bias Binding

Continuous Bias Binding

Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Continuous Bias Binding

Just want to share with you something I recently discovered: How to cut continuos bias binding!

I've learned to cut bias as a child/teenager, but the "old fashioned way" - and I've always hated to have triangles left over! Now I stumbled over this method that uses a square to cut bias - ingenious!

Probably most of you experienced quilters already know that, but maybe there's another newbie out there to whom this information might be helpful?

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ontinuous_bias
Old 11-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the link. I have seen this several times but have not seen the printed directions.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

The thing I don't like about this method is that it creates a lot of seams in the binding. I did it this way just once.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 PM

I also agree with Prism99 I do not like all the seams it creates and it is very time consuming
Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 PM

I have tried many methods for continuous bias binding and this one by Shelley Rodgers is by far the best and the easiest for me to follow. I have now made countless metres of binding and I especially like it as it uses the full width of the fabric and does not require you to cut a square to start. I use 28" of WOF to make over 430" of binding 2 1/2" wide. It does not have excessive seams and I can make enough binding for a King sized quilt in an hour. Check out her tutorial and see if it works for you.

(http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Banned

I agree with Shelbie, Pirate's tutorial is similar to this one but better because you can use any size width of fabric instead of having to start with a square. Pirate also has you mark the seam line so it's easier to pin your fabric properly when getting ready to sew that final seam.

Cari
Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 PM

I've always done the method that Monale posted, and it's always been good for me. But I find the method posted by Shelbie interesting, and I've saved the pdf for future reference. Thanks for sharing to each of you.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I have tried many methods for continuous bias binding and this one by Shelley Rodgers is by far the best and the easiest for me to follow. I have now made countless metres of binding and I especially like it as it uses the full width of the fabric and does not require you to cut a square to start. I use 28" of WOF to make over 430" of binding 2 1/2" wide. It does not have excessive seams and I can make enough binding for a King sized quilt in an hour. Check out her tutorial and see if it works for you.

(http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/
I'm going to try that next time! Sounds great as there's no need to cut a square first - that would be perfect! Thanks for the link!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I've always done the method that Monale posted, and it's always been good for me. But I find the method posted by Shelbie interesting, and I've saved the pdf for future reference. Thanks for sharing to each of you.
I will try it also. Sounds very interesting. Thank you
Old 11-22-2015, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it does create a lot of seams in the binding.