Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Dear Jane w/Cottage Fabric and Cone Borders >

Dear Jane w/Cottage Fabric and Cone Borders

Dear Jane w/Cottage Fabric and Cone Borders

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

i've only seen DJ done in repro too and i never had an interest in doing one until i saw this quilt. even when i made my blocks i still wasn't interested in making a jane.

it was only when i saw the finished product at the show that i decided i had to have one.

the quilt is actually reversible it has a log cabin on the back with a DJ block as the center sqaure.

the guild is on a break until september when will find out the total take on the quilt but the last i heard it was around $8000
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Klue,
OMG! That is a stunning DJ. I visited a quilt guild this week that had Brenda Papadakis as their guest speaker. She drafted all of the DJ squares from photos and a "white gloved" hands on the original at a museum. Surprisingly, she has never made the whole quilt. She does possess a beautiful one that consist of all the rejected blocks from her workshops. They were presented to her in a finished quilt. There were several DJ quilts at the meeting. One lady had made six using a variety of the blocks, two were on point with wide sashing. The point was, you don't have to make them all, but it seems to be addictive for some.

First off, a member showed a DJ that she had made that day. I was ready to walk out, these ladies were waaaay out of my league. It turned out to be a cheater cloth (user friendly). She had pieced the triangles for the border in solids and finished the quilt. I was still impressed.

Again, the black and bright DJ that ya'll made is breath taking.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loretta
WOW! that is an impressive amount!
its NYC so we get a lot of traffic to the show plus each member is required to sell tickets outside of the show.

there's prizes for the people who sell the most tickets.

i sold a little over $750 so i hope i win something.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

brenda was at the guild show doing that lecture - we had a huge turn out for it.

then we had paula nadelstern for a lecture/trunk show which was a massive turn out - she was standing room only because she was announcing her museum exhibit that opened this summer.

the guild show is done at the Fashion Institute in NYC and the lecture are done in the huge lecture arena that they use for the large classes. its like stadium seating with each row slightly higher then the one before and they have a huge screen for the slide show.

i've found our shows are very different from typical guild shows. we have some vendors but not that many and its more like a gallery exhibit.

we have a few well known artists in the guild and they inform all their clients about the show since most of the quilts are for sale.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Hi Klue!
Thanks for sharing this exquisite quilt with us.
Is there a pattern or book for the Baby Jane Quilt? I did not find it on her site.
Thanks, Sheree
Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

she wrote a book called Dear Jane but its more like a day journal along with line drawings of the quilt.

it doesn't help in any way to make a Baby Jane. right now the best thing on the market to make a baby jane would be the computer software by electric quilt. you don't need to own electric quilt its a stand along program.

i don't own it yet but i hope to have it for christmas.

i plan on starting my baby jane after the new year and some PM me asking if i would start a "sew along" group on this forum.

this way we can all make a baby jane together and discuss block construction.

so if you're interested in something like that stick around for the new year.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That sounds great. I love this site so I will definitely be around next year.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM

On my "thatquilt" blog I have a list of ladies making this quilt. Quite a few of them are non-traditional and SO lovely!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Wooo. I know this is an old topic, but I'm so in love with how this one turned out!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 AM

Yes, that sure is a very bright and colorful Dear Jane quilt!!