Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Disappearing Pinwheel Quilt >

Disappearing Pinwheel Quilt

Disappearing Pinwheel Quilt

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM

cindyb, could you give us some instruction on what you did. I have a stack of blocks that might work if we had better/more information on how to do them. Also can I use my sampler blocks.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

​Did you see Jenny just posted Disappearing pinwheel part 2? It is a Churn Dash block.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Maybe the difference has to do with being a registered customer versus a guest browser? Just wondering.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I would never think about going in and correcting any transcript on any video, forum or some one's post. Just saying.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Have you read the transcript? It is totally incomprehensible as far as instructions go and very incomplete. I don't know who does the transcribing, but it is not something I would find useful -- too many "water the plants"!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

This is a great tut for beginners. Just put the 2 pieces of material together and sew and cut as she says. Then all you have to do is turn your pieces around and sew together. Remember to press as you go. Easy!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CGail View Post
Matraina: How in the world did you get it printed?
I copied and pasted it to WordPerfect or Word. Then I went about making the changes. I'd give you my copy of the finished work but they cut it from my original submission, so I guess that would be breaking copyright laws. It did take a while to do.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would never think about going in and correcting any transcript on any video, forum or some one's post. Just saying.
I didn't correct their transcript; I copied their transcript to a word processing document and corrected my version of it. It took a long time; and I thought, if I could save anyone who wanted it the time and trouble, I would post my version on the Quilting Board. I just e-mailed Missouri Star Quilting Company again and asked whether I could post my copy on the Quilting Board. Will let you know when I get a response back.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Matraina thank you for emailing MQC asking if they will allow you to pput it on the Quilting board! Let us know what the word is!

And maybe one has to be a member to be able to get the transcrip to open? I still only get a box saying English.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=caroloto;6507353]Matraina thank you for emailing MQC asking if they will allow you to pput it on the Quilting board! Let us know what the word is!

And maybe one has to be a member to be able to get the transcrip to open? I still only get a box saying English.

O.K., everyone. When I e-mailed Missouri Star Quilt asking whether I could post my version, Simone Sepulveda, from that company, thought that would be a great idea. So, here goes. I copied no pictures, so you'll probably have to use it with the video:

Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt Company

Take a look at this gorgeous quilt behind me. Isn’t this fun. This quilt is about seventy by eighty. When it's all said and done, you are gonna be amazed at how easy this is to put together. So to make this quilt you're gonna need two layer cakes. I use this one called Floral Gatherings from Primitive Gatherings and a solid so that it gives your colors that pop and we are going to make pinwheels out of this to start with. Now you've heard of the disappearing nine patch and you've heard of a disappearing four patch. Now we're gonna show you the disappearing pinwheel. This is really exciting to me because this is a fun block and so much you can do with it, but first we've got to make the pinwheel, so what you're going to do with that is you're going to choose one of your solids and you're gonna take one of your colors and you're gonna put them right sides together like this. You are gonna sew all the way around the outside edge 1/4 inch and if you have any trouble remembering this, we have an easy tutorial on pinwheels where you can go look at that. So, I've got my piece here sewn all the way around a quarter of an inch and we're gonna cut it both directions diagonally so let me grab this ruler. You just put it corner to corner on your block like this and you're gonna go ahead and make the cut and then make sure they stay together and you’re gonna pop your ruler over here, corner to corner, and you have your four half-square triangles like this. This is what's gonna make your pinwheel so then what we're going to do now is we're going to take these over and iron them open. I’ll show you how these go together, so set that seam and roll them back so once you get all your half square triangles ironed open, you’re gonna set them together as a pinwheel and we're gonna do that like this. Turn that like this and this one - you just line them up like this so that you have color every other block just like that. Then you're gonna sew them together like a four patch so you’ll sew the top two together and then the bottom two together. Then you’ll sew the two halves together and you’ll end up with a pinwheel that looks like this. Now this is where our block begins and this is really fun because what we're gonna do is we're going to divide this block into three equal pieces so we have basically a nine patch where the blocks are all the same size so what you’re going to have to do is figure out what size your block is and divide that by three. For mine, it's about two and an eighth from the middle seam and then what I’m going to do - I guess I should tell you that before I start - but what I’m going to do is I’m going to cut this on all four sides, and wait till you see what happens. This is so much fun, so here we are - we're gonna cut it this way and then I'm gonna turn my mat and you can see I just used a smaller mat here - you can use a rotating mat - and again, my measurement out from the Middle is about two and an eighth on mine but you'll want to measure yours to make sure it’s exactly in thirds cuz that depends on your seam allowance. And one more cut. This was so fun. I started playing around with this one year when we were up at the lake and it was just so fun to see all the possibilities. This really can do a lot of things but this is the one we're talking about today. So now you can see - we have this cut on all four sides and what we're gonna do first is we’re gonna take these two striped squares we're gonna turn these to the outside like this - all four of those - and then on these right here we're gonna turn them to the middle like this, and its gonna make this awesome shoe fly block. Look at that shoe fly block with your pinwheel in the center. How cute is that, so then you just go about sewing this together just like you would sew a nine patch so I fold my pieces in like this and I'm gonna sew this one to this side and this one to this side and I just sew the three rows together so let's go to the sewing machine and put this block together. Alrighty, so I have a dark thread on here so you can see what I'm doing but normally I would not use a dark thread - I would use a thread that matches a little better but this will help you see exactly what I'm doing here. There we go, so now we're gonna sew all three of these rows together like this and then we'll put the block together, so I’ll meet you back here in a minute. So now I have these three rows sewn together like this and you can see we need to press them so what I wanna do is I want to press the middle ones going out and the top and bottom ones going in. That way they’ll nest together better so we're gonna press these to the out and I like to do that from the back and then I like to turn it over and make sure it’s nice and flat from the front and then these we’re gonna press pointing inward. That'll just make less balk in our strips, help them line up better and one more here. All right. Then all we need to do is attach these together. Now this is the only part - you can see on the other part I just actually just sewed. What I did not even have to line anything up nothing had to match I just sewed so right here now we need to make sure that these little corners line up right here so because our seams go in opposite directions, we are going to be able to do that pretty easily. We're gonna see where they nest right here. They just come right together like that. You can put a pin in there if you want; you can feel it with your finger; And I'm just gonna go ahead and feel it and go ahead and sew these rows together. It comes together so nice. There we go. Make sure that's lined up because some of these are cut on the bias and you have a little more permission to make your fabric behave. You can actually make it completely fit to the block which I love. I love that part. All right now I'm just gonna bring this other row over here and we’re going to do the same thing. We're gonna nest those blocks together and because we’ve ironed our seams going in opposite directions, it will just lay down there. I just pull and make sure it’s right next to that. Keep that one laying down and then here we go over here.

And then we’re going to make this one match up. Now we just have to press it. Alrighty. So we're gonna press this down and roll it back, press this one down and roll it back, too. And this is your whole block. How easy was that. Isn’t that crazy. Look at that. Look how cool that is. So, once you get your block done, we're ready to lay them out and you’re just going to put them together in rows and they just line up just right smack together just like that. You're going to match them up when you sew them, make sure that your corners meet up - that’s kind of essential and then we’ll just put them together, one after the other. I have five across and six down in this so we’ve used 30 squares in the center part of the quilt. Then what I did was I took a 2 ½" strip and bordered that middle part of the quilt. Then I took the rest of my squares that were in my packet after choosing the thirty. Then I took the rest of my squares, which are all this light color, here these are all lighter colors, and I took that layer cake and cut it into fourths, so now I have four little pieces and I made pinwheels out of those. We just made them in the same way - sewed around the outside, cut diagonally in both directions
putting together and made these sweet little pinwheels so then I just made a row of those around - used these pinwheels as a border row and use for the final row of pinwheels and then a two and a half inch strip, again on the outside, just to frame in the pinwheels and keep them in there nice and tight. So we hope you enjoyed this tutorial on the disappearing pinwheel from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.