Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Do you buy Layer Cakes... now there are Cake Mix Recipes to use with them >

Do you buy Layer Cakes... now there are Cake Mix Recipes to use with them

Do you buy Layer Cakes... now there are Cake Mix Recipes to use with them

Old 04-20-2017, 02:41 AM

I also love the idea of Moda's Layer Cake, Cake Mix recipes. Its such a clever idea! I'm hoping to buy some of the recipes in the near future.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love the Cake Mixes. I bought all the different sets when I first saw how they worked. I copy them on vellum and have never used sewn on the original papers. I can sew a few blocks when I don't have much time. I keep a stack of blocks all sewn with the same solid color and I have enough for a quilt in no time.
What size paper do you copy them on, since I assume the pages are 10-inch squares? Do you take them to a commercial copy place?
Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by #1 AAA quilter View Post
I don't like to use 'cheater' methods. I really enjoy the whole process of cutting, piecing, layering, quilting and binding.
Why would this be considered cheating?? It is still the whole "process". For many that have limited time for a project it would be a great way to get the quilt done quickly and accurately.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 PM

These are not cheater methods. They are convenience methods..no different than paper piecing. Plus I like the sound of convenience better than "cheater".
Old 07-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
What size paper do you copy them on, since I assume the pages are 10-inch squares? Do you take them to a commercial copy place?
I use the 5 inch charm square size not the 10" layer cake size. There are two sizes of the Cake Mix Recipe cards.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 PM

If you like this method look into CD's that have been out forever called Trianglations 2.0, 3.0 or now 4.0
Much cheaper to buy one CD that ranges from sizes as small as 2 inches up to 7 inch half sq triangles, flying geese and several other things like Hr glass...send the size from your computer to your printer...prints up exactly what cake mix offers and layer your two fabrics and follow the sew lines ...
Old 07-02-2017, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
If you like this method look into CD's that have been out forever called Trianglations 2.0, 3.0 or now 4.0
Much cheaper to buy one CD that ranges from sizes as small as 2 inches up to 7 inch half sq triangles, flying geese and several other things like Hr glass...send the size from your computer to your printer...prints up exactly what cake mix offers and layer your two fabrics and follow the sew lines ...
Not exactly the same. I have Trianglations. All the quilt block pieces are on the paper even the solid squares. This makes all cutting exactly accurate. The 5 inch size one paper will make two blocks each 2 1/2" finished. Two papers to make a four patch pieced block of 5". They are mini size for sure and so cute.