Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hate to gather fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have always hated to gather fabric. It is tedious and a pain in hinny. I just saw this new way of gathering fabric. It was a duh moment. Here is the link:

http://gracielousquilts.blogspot.com...uesday_13.html

I have this great purse pattern that I have only made once because of the amount of gathering. I'm going to dig it out and make another one.

Dang, that does make it look easy

Blog Entries
    Sheesh! After I just gathered 4 bridesmaids dresses! Well, I'll be using this method from now on! Thanks for the link! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this great information. Will have to try it next time I am making something with gathers.

Blog Entries
    I think i'm going to become a gathering freak after this tute. I have always hated gathering....not anymore!!!

Blog Entries
    Ok now, am I the only one that didn't "quite" understand the instructions???? I got the long threads but got confused at cutting the zigzag when done. What holds the long thread to pull the threads? Am I just missing something? Oh yeah and the back tack??

Maybe someone can explain it in "simpleton" terms? LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Ok now, am I the only one that didn't "quite" understand the instructions???? I got the long threads but got confused at cutting the zigzag when done. What holds the long thread to pull the threads? Am I just missing something? Oh yeah and the back tack??

Maybe someone can explain it in "simpleton" terms? LOL
    You only cut the zig zag threads at the END of the seam not the whole seam.

My grandmother taught me this little trick years ago. But, since we did mostly home dec sewing then, she taught me while using dental tape instead of thread. I still make ruffles and gathers this way, and the dental tape never breaks part way through the gathering process. You simply tack stitch it at the beginning and then zig-zag stitch over the tape within the seam allowance. I've also started pinning the dental tape if its the top of curtains I'm gathering. I just un-do the pin and smooth out the top --- makes for easier laundering and pressing before re-hanging.

Blog Entries
    :XD: i thought you were going to show me how to gather fabric for a project..from my stash!

good tutorial though! thanks!

Blog Entries
    This is how Nancy Zieman, of "Sewing with Nancy", does gathering. Her show is very informative. They stopped showing her videos on our local PBS, and I miss them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast