Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Does anyone live in or near East Chatham, NY? >

Does anyone live in or near East Chatham, NY?

Does anyone live in or near East Chatham, NY?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM

I saw posted on craigslist that on August 19, 20 & 21, a huge estate sale is being held in East Chatham. Apparently it is the Motherload for anything quilting oriented.
Reply to this e-mail address on craigslist: [email protected]

If you go to Craigslist for Long Island and type in 'Quilter and Craft Lover's Estate Sale', you'll surely find it, as well.

The address is Maple Drive, East Chatham, NY

I wish I lived closer - I'd be there in a heartbeat!!
Hope someone out there goes and tells us all about it!!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM

yes, the address is 54 and i spoke to the person and they are not cheap on the prices for fabric. they are selling fabric at $5 a yard. do that tells me that the other items won't be cheap.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

nothing is cheap. i went and walked away with nothing. he wouldn't even negotiate on price at all.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM

I am not close enough to justify the mileage. With the price of gas and my pig of a SUV, the savings wouldn't be justified. My quilt shop runs usually tie into other errands. What happens with prices too high at a sale like this, is no one buys and if they want to move this stuff, they will come down, probably on the last day of the sale.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM

wow - thank you so much for the feedback - I'm sorry the seller turned out to be what we might call a 'money-grubbing slug' - You have saved many others from a negative experience and for that, I truly thank you. On craigslist, they made it sound like the Sale of the Century!! All I can say now is that savvy crafters will probably walk away and he'll be left with all that stuff.
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
nothing is cheap. i went and walked away with nothing. he wouldn't even negotiate on price at all.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM

From past experience, estate sales usually have high prices. Usually it's the kids that are money-grubbers.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM

yes, the children of the deceased. I've seen that over and over again. So sad that they just wouldn't do it right, price things fairly to sell and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota
From past experience, estate sales usually have high prices. Usually it's the kids that are money-grubbers.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
lue

I know I always look for a bargain and when i can't get a good deal, I go home or to another sale. But who knows? Perhaps they're not money grubbing kids. Maybe they have bills to pay for funeral expenses or debts and are doing the best they can. Just a thought.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 AM

Very possible, but since he was completely unwilling to come down even a little in price, it's probably unlikely. But, hey, you never know!
Originally Posted by lue
I know I always look for a bargain and when i can't get a good deal, I go home or to another sale. But who knows? Perhaps they're not money grubbing kids. Maybe they have bills to pay for funeral expenses or debts and are doing the best they can. Just a thought.