Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
English Patchwork and Quilting... >

English Patchwork and Quilting...

English Patchwork and Quilting...

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

...is alive and well! I wanted to go a little way towards allaying the misconception that we don't 'do' patchwork and quilting in Britain (and indeed Europe) so excuse me while I fly the flag! I first heard about this woman's work at this year's Festival of Quilts (Europe's largest annual quilt festival). Her 'Phoenix Rising' took second prize in the Art Quilt category. Have a look at her portfolio on her website here http://www.ferfab.co.uk

What I find so great about her is that she's young and groovy (she rides a motorbike!) and sees quilting as an art form, which in my opinion, gives our craft relevance and interest and will keep it growing and evolving. Her LA work is fabulous too and it's ALL freehand - not a panto to be seen! See a demo here http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=148646294362

Contemporary quilting may not be everyone's cup of tea and we have our share of traditional quilters as well - much in evidence at the FoQ. But I find this young woman's work an inspiration. :-D
Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 AM

Thanks for posting those links K, I know her work is gaining recognition and quite rightly too.

That "Bad rain" quilt in her gallery is wonderful.
Hadnt seen the LA work before - stunning!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 AM

Her work is astounding! Thanks for putting us in touch. :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 AM

Wow... she really does amazing work. It's good to know that patchwork and quilting is alive here in Europe and we do have very talented people here.
Thank you for posting it!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
...is alive and well! I wanted to go a little way towards allaying the misconception that we don't 'do' patchwork and quilting in Britain (and indeed Europe) so excuse me while I fly the flag! I first heard about this woman's work at this year's Festival of Quilts (Europe's largest annual quilt festival). Her 'Phoenix Rising' took second prize in the Art Quilt category. Have a look at her portfolio on her website here http://www.ferfab.co.uk

What I find so great about her is that she's young and groovy (she rides a motorbike!) and sees quilting as an art form, which in my opinion, gives our craft relevance and interest and will keep it growing and evolving. Her LA work is fabulous too and it's ALL freehand - not a panto to be seen! See a demo here http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=148646294362

Contemporary quilting may not be everyone's cup of tea and we have our share of traditional quilters as well - much in evidence at the FoQ. But I find this young woman's work an inspiration. :-D
I know her work and it is exquisite, I have seen the ' The nude with a Rope', it is truly unbelievable. if you google' ferret quilts 'you will find her main site with portfolio. She even has done long arm quilting on a leather skin,which is fantastic. As you will gather I am enamoured with her work. it is not patchwork as we generally know it by any means and the quilt police didn't like it at first. She tried to enter into an annual art exhibition at the Royal Academy in London and they would not let her as they did not consider it art!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Izy

Such a lot of talent there, great link thanks K!!

I have to say that I fear I may have added to the impression that quilting isn't popular in the U.K., but I purely meant in inner city Manchester, which is true, boy do I wish I lived somewhere else in the U.K. LOL!!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

She is really so talented and her work is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Such a lot of talent there, great link thanks K!!

I have to say that I fear I may have added to the impression that quilting isn't popular in the U.K., but I purely meant in inner city Manchester, which is true, boy do I wish I lived somewhere else in the U.K. LOL!!
I understood what you meant Izy,but it is true that there is nowhere near as much access to quilting'stuff' over here so the more we can tell each other the better. I live in Ramsgate on the Kent coast about 2hrs by train from London and there is nothing of any sort down here or in London, I buy on the net or Birmingham quilt show, my daughter lives there so I can stay with her. Your shop may grow in time as more and more people use it.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by loopywren
I know her work and it is exquisite, I have seen the ' The nude with a Rope', it is truly unbelievable. if you google' ferret quilts 'you will find her main site with portfolio. She even has done long arm quilting on a leather skin,which is fantastic. As you will gather I am enamoured with her work. it is not patchwork as we generally know it by any means and the quilt police didn't like it at first. She tried to enter into an annual art exhibition at the Royal Academy in London and they would not let her as they did not consider it art!!!
The link to her site is there in my post - Nude with a Rope is stunning. I saw the leather coat at the NEC, with the Phoenix on, right? Imaging FMQing on that - you can't make a mistake and unpick as it would leave a permanent hole. :shock: ANd as for the RA - one year they gave an unmade bed the Turner prize so what do they know! :lol:
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by loopywren
The link to her site is there in my post - Nude with a Rope is stunning. I saw the leather coat at the NEC, with the Phoenix on, right? Imaging FMQing on that - you can't make a mistake and unpick as it would leave a permanent hole. :shock: ANd as for the RA - one year they gave an unmade bed the Turner prize so what do they know! :lol:
I know. doesn't make sense does it.