Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Errors in the BLOCK magazines by MSQ >

Errors in the BLOCK magazines by MSQ

Errors in the BLOCK magazines by MSQ

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM

This is why I always make a practice block before I cut into my good fabrics. Years ago I cut out all I needed for a top and the pattern had a bad mistake and I had to rush to the store and was lucky to find my fabric still in stock. That taught me never trust a pattern until I do a practice block.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
This is why I always make a practice block before I cut into my good fabrics. Years ago I cut out all I needed for a top and the pattern had a bad mistake and I had to rush to the store and was lucky to find my fabric still in stock. That taught me never trust a pattern until I do a practice block.
same goes......and a common error is in the yardage for backings and sashing....easy calculations to make to check the yardage is correct (whole truth here...I prefer to use wide backs)
Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by nprisner View Post
I have all issues -- where do you find the list of corrections? Like you, I would like to put corrections in respective books.
If you are a member of the MSQ Forum, just scroll down to find the website to find the errors and corrections section.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Every magazine has errors?
sandy
No, just the April 2014 Magic Diamonds, Dresden Coin Quilt and Stained glass quilt; June 2014 Pop Fly, American Classic, Ladies Luncheon, Simple Joys, Starlight, StarBright, Sweet Harvest; and Winter 2014 Pages 55, 63, 84 and 97. They are simple changes, but could cause confusion. If you cannot find the corrections, let me know.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
I love that new magazine. No advertisements and I love reading the comments and the stories. All the quilts are easy ones and very pretty. I do enough difficult patterns and sometimes it is a relief and more relaxation to find something easy and fun to do. I found the errors with no problems and also printed the page and inserted it into the magazine to which the error/s was made. I love all quilt magazines but this one has become my favorite and I cannot wait for it to get here. Keep up the good work Jenny--you're my kind of woman!! The normal everyday type--you never put on any "airs." Thanks.
I agree AnnEliz. I love Jenny also and am so pleased I could find the errors on her website. Come on Great Quilters, we all make mistakes no matter if we are proof readers or quilters. This is MSQ's first year at publishing a magazine.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Looks that way....

Just got an email yesterday stating the next issue will be in mail in several weeks and my cc has been charged.....am thinking of canceling after the upcoming issue......
I hope you do not cancel Geri B. These are great people at MSQ and, as has been stated, the errors are not intense.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 PM

I have one copy of the magazine. I have ony quickly paged thru it so I can't say anything about errors. A lot of patterns have errors when they are printed. I try to remember to check for them before I start a quilt. I went to a trunk show with Jenny a few weeks ago. She was awesome. So nice and personable. SHe signed autographs and answered all questions. SHe even posed for everyones pictures. I wonder if she even had time for a break before her next show.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I think that when you pay good money for a magazine, it IS up to the publisher to notify the customers of the mistakes. It would be different if it was a free magazine, but it is far from it.
What about magazines that are sold at stores? It would be pretty hard to notify those who don't subscribe.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Our quilt guild made a quilt using a pattern from a magazine...one of the three or four part kind. We got the blocks made and some were too small. When we looked at the individual block information the unfinished blocks would not have come close to the finished block size. We should have tested each block but we didn't. Just made new blocks for the ones that were too small. These were from one of the well advertised magazines NOT from MSQC.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
I love that new magazine. No advertisements and I love reading the comments and the stories. All the quilts are easy ones and very pretty. I do enough difficult patterns and sometimes it is a relief and more relaxation to find something easy and fun to do. I found the errors with no problems and also printed the page and inserted it into the magazine to which the error/s was made. I love all quilt magazines but this one has become my favorite and I cannot wait for it to get here. Keep up the good work Jenny--you're my kind of woman!! The normal everyday type--you never put on any "airs." Thanks.
I agree!!! Best $5.99 I have spent ...Other magazines are full of wasted ads, not many patterns and cost way too much!!!