Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class >

Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class

Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class

Old 01-03-2015, 03:37 PM

I think this quilt is beautiful, it is very tempting, but I really am not a fan of applique and there is A LOT of it in this one. The fabric pkt price is very, very reasonable. But one of the best things about sewing or quilting is no one having your same piece, and by purchasing the fabric pkt would mean it was no longer a "one of a kind" type thing. I had to go to the fabric store this past week for something else, and I did look for a border fabric while I was there, if I had seen one I likely would have been tempted enough to get it, but I didn't see any.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I signed up and bought the kit as a birthday present for me! The last one I made for me went to my grandson when he fell in love with it. A black, turquoise and white quilt called rhythm and blues by red rooster fabrics. So, I won't be so generous this time for sure!

Thanks so much for the heads up on the nice free class!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-03-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Well, Emma, the Moratorium...oh, the Moratorium. Maybe we should start Fabriholics Anonymous!!
I bought some hummingbird fabric in 2014 and it had a border that went with it, so if I shop my stash, that border fabric might work. Doubt that there's enough of it, though. Hmmm....what to do, what to do. That has been the question all day! Well, off to dream of that kit.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Would have been better if I'd looked before I shopped. Here was my justif...., I mean thinking. The first on the left has no smaller border although I love the colors, the one in the middle would work because I wouldn't use the red rose stripe and the last one is actually a Jinny Beyer design so it would work big time Unfortunately the JB one needs another color. Realized belatedly that a plummy fuschia and a burgundy would probably work. I may do a second on as we go along.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM

The fingers are quicker than the brain, here's the picture.
Attached Thumbnails border-prints.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Any of those look like they would be great, I would have a hard time choosing one, would probably depend on what colors I had the most of in the stash that would work w/ each of these fabrics. But I would likely change up the background color. The first one I would do brown as a background, the middle stick w/ the black and the last a deep grey.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 PM

I'm wondering how much border fabric we need and what the widths are...although it wouldn't matter all that much as things can be adapted this way or that. I really, really don't want to buy the kit, but I don't see where it tells how much border fabric is needed. But then, there hasn't been time to go through the first lesson. Maybe I'm biting off more than I can do. The class is free, so I may just go with the blocks and decide on the border fabric later. Those blues and greens sure look rich against the black. No, I didn't buy...yet. AUGH!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 AM

Kassandra: Thanks for the design suggestions. Its sure fun to speculate isn't it? The first one is short on narrow strips while the middle has more than I would need in this particular design. Realized that in spite of how different they look, one of the strips from the middle would work in the first.
Coopah: You know the longest journey begins with just one step. Come on join in, if you don't want to buy the kit, I know solids work with most border prints so all you would need to buy is the print itself.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 AM

Thanks...signed up
Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Well, it's not buying the kit that's a problem. It's having it lurk in the closet...for how long? Some kits are in there from a good 8 years ago. AI YAI YAI!! If I order this one, I'm off the wagon on the Moratorium! The colors ARE luscious and so maybe I should just order it and see if they sell sewing clones as well.