Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free Quilt Patterns Are Being Sold Online!

Well, this brings up something that has occurred to me and maybe has been answered before. If I copy a block, such as "Swoon" in EQ7 and make a quilt with it, am I infringing on someone's copyright?

Blog Entries
    I just tried to go to their web site and got the message: This account has been suspended. So maybe they are getting their comeuppence. They certainly should!
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I was at a quilt shop awhile back and they were selling the free patterns that companies had sent to them. There was a $2.00 sticker on it and it stated on the pattern that it was free! I did point that out to the owner. No telling how many free patterns they had sold.

Catmcclure, I agree that when you sell a pattern out of a magazine, it is not a copyright infringement. If it was a copy of the pattern, that's entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    Selling a photocopy is a copyright infringement. However, cutting pages and patterns from books or magazines and selling those pages is NOT a copyright infringement. It is no different than selling a used pattern or book.
    catmcclure, I agree ... that's what I'd thought but wasn't sure ... if it's the ACTUAL page /pattern taken from a mag or book, there's no problem ... but when COPIES are being sold, it's an infringement. Unfortunately, some people are doing this, and those who don't know better are buying !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2