Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free Quilt Patterns Are Being Sold Online! >

Free Quilt Patterns Are Being Sold Online!

Free Quilt Patterns Are Being Sold Online!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Well, this brings up something that has occurred to me and maybe has been answered before. If I copy a block, such as "Swoon" in EQ7 and make a quilt with it, am I infringing on someone's copyright?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM

I just tried to go to their web site and got the message: This account has been suspended. So maybe they are getting their comeuppence. They certainly should!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM

I was at a quilt shop awhile back and they were selling the free patterns that companies had sent to them. There was a $2.00 sticker on it and it stated on the pattern that it was free! I did point that out to the owner. No telling how many free patterns they had sold.

Catmcclure, I agree that when you sell a pattern out of a magazine, it is not a copyright infringement. If it was a copy of the pattern, that's entirely different.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
Selling a photocopy is a copyright infringement. However, cutting pages and patterns from books or magazines and selling those pages is NOT a copyright infringement. It is no different than selling a used pattern or book.
catmcclure, I agree ... that's what I'd thought but wasn't sure ... if it's the ACTUAL page /pattern taken from a mag or book, there's no problem ... but when COPIES are being sold, it's an infringement. Unfortunately, some people are doing this, and those who don't know better are buying !