Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free tutorial on how to make a handibag from a pillow case >

Free tutorial on how to make a handibag from a pillow case

Free tutorial on how to make a handibag from a pillow case

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 PM
T.

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2011/...owcase-in.html
This is really cute, but I don't understand step one when she says: "Cut off the flap that is on the inside of the pillowcase - You'll use this for the pocket!"
So, what if your pillow case doesn't have a flap? I think I have seen one of my flannel pillow cases with a flap, so when you turn it over, it keeps the pillow from falling out. But I am not sure it's the same one she's talking about. Any body has any idea?
Thuan
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

Firstly, thanks for the link....what a brilliant idea! I'm guessing if your pillowcase hasn't got a flap you will need a scrap piece of fabric to make the pocket which goes inside the bag. Here almost all pillowcases have the flap inside, it's to stop the pillow falling out and also hides the pillow if you look at it from the end. Just a bit neater that way I suppose.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Firstly, thanks for the link....what a brilliant idea! I'm guessing if your pillowcase hasn't got a flap you will need a scrap piece of fabric to make the pocket which goes inside the bag. Here almost all pillowcases have the flap inside, it's to stop the pillow falling out and also hides the pillow if you look at it from the end. Just a bit neater that way I suppose.
Ours and UK ones all have the flaps too.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 AM

Hmmm...I live in NH, and I don't think I've ever seen a pillow case with a "flap". I've seen pillow shams, which hide the pillow nicely....but I guess I live in a flap-less home. LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
np3
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi everyone - I'm the one who wrote this tutorial - great that more people are finding it! Sorry about any confusion about the 'flap' on the pillowcase. I'm from the UK and now live in Australia and have never seen a pillowcase without a flap!

I think that for me - a pillow is a long rectangle that goes under your head on the bed when you sleep - but I know in some places the square cushions used on chairs and sofas are also called pillows - so maybe there's some confusion there?

Anyway - if your pillow case doesn't have a 'flap' you can just use a scrap of material for the pocket!

Please do let me know if you have any more problems - I'm always trying to make my patterns better and easier to follow!

Jill

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
T.

THank you, Jill. Your instructions are excellent. I did understand that it is the pillow on your bed. Step 1 was the only thing I was confused about, obviously the flap is not a standard here in the States, as attested by a couple other members. So, I think I will just use a piece of scrap. Thank you again for the instructions. They sell those kinds of bags here. I have been wanting to try to make them, but haven't. Now I have got directions, it will be a lot easier for me than trying to figure it out myself :)

Originally Posted by jillinamillion
Hi everyone - I'm the one who wrote this tutorial - great that more people are finding it! Sorry about any confusion about the 'flap' on the pillowcase. I'm from the UK and now live in Australia and have never seen a pillowcase without a flap!

I think that for me - a pillow is a long rectangle that goes under your head on the bed when you sleep - but I know in some places the square cushions used on chairs and sofas are also called pillows - so maybe there's some confusion there?

Anyway - if your pillow case doesn't have a 'flap' you can just use a scrap of material for the pocket!

Please do let me know if you have any more problems - I'm always trying to make my patterns better and easier to follow!

Jill

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/