Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
The Future Of Quilting >

The Future Of Quilting

The Future Of Quilting

Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 PM

Well, OK. Everyone is welcomed to his/her own opinions. I live in the West Coast fashion center where I have witness the sad decline of both decline of the garment worker (everything from fashion designers to sewing machine operators), and overseas outsourcing of employment for most fashion companies for the past 20 or so years now. I am the last generation of my family (both mother's and father's) to even bother using a sewing machine or draft a pattern (by hand or computer) in or out of the house. For me, working in the fashion industry in the 1970s and the 1980s paid the rent and my way through the university. Which it is no longer possible to do today. It was not so much as a "hobby" or something ladylike to do to pass the time. And the Internet has now finished it by making people expect everything to be given away for pennies on the dollar or even "free" without thought about undercutting people who still need to make a living. That is why that magazine failed, my local quilt shop, and many other business failed and will continue to fail. So my past experiences make me a bit reluctant to post too-clear shots of any work-in-progress. But if you insist one more closer shot of it's center (still needs to "bloom" more obviously), here it is. The cats will still love it either way. The single size one that will be started in a few days will be just as wonderful to sleep under. And better color selection & coordination than this one has (just used whatever I had on hand for this test) will make a huge difference as far as it's presentation in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails ragged-radiating-star-center-close-up-500-pixels.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 02-14-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:57 PM

That is the way life is. A work-in-progress. In about 2-3 months, before the summer heat sets in, the final Ragged Lone Star quilt will be done. I will post that one as the final version of this series. This one (the sample above) has served it's purpose as a guide to do the next one far better.

Far better than becoming a high tech junkie dependent on the latest whims and dictates of the masses. That is why I still sew and quilt rather than just buy.