Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gammill's new Sit down Long Arm

I would like to hear more. that sound like a good idea tape.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I'm not laughing, but how do you get it straight and keep it straight? For me, that's the hardest part of loading the quilt top!

Then again, I put the quilt sandwich together first and then load it onto the take up rail, let it all hang free until the second to last row of a quilt. The weight of the quilt keeps it taut enough until then. I also use side leaders that I made. Seems to work for me and for the quilts I make.
    how do you make the sandwich first? don't you have two rollers, one for top and the other for backing? It seems to me by putting it together you might be creating puckers.... Keeping the quilt straight? I don't understand that....it should be straight when you attach to rollers.....I use pins to attach to leaders and then use clamps attached to elastic - 3 on each side to keep it the right tautness when quilting...no sagging.....if I get one that has "hills and valleys" from either paper piecing or bias edged triangle piecing, I will use strips of batting tucked just into the top roller at the front side -enough to take the sag out while working on it.

About once every 2/3 yrs I have to re-hem the ends of my leaders.......they will bow in the middle from continuous pulling.....that may be what is throwing off the straightness of the sandwich...........

Sit down machines are the only way some of us with limited space will ever be able to have a long arm. Also due to health concerns some of us can't stand for lengthy periods. And some just prefer this method of quilting. Once again, it's a matter of choice. I applaud the various companies who are accommodating all of us to "Get 'er done."

I sewed on it at the Quilt Show in Houston and it sewed like a dream, wish I could get one.
    lizziebeths.blogspot.com

If I had the room I would sure buy a sit down quilting machine. Until then I will just use one of my two machines that really do a great job.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    flybreit what size of panter tape do you use? This sounds like a faster way. I think I'll try it but I'll like more information please. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would rather stand, sitting to sew messes up my back, hope the tables for these are adjustable height so you can stand. do they have stitch regulator?

Blog Entries
    I'd let the LA baste the quilt for me, I don't like basting, and then I'd quilt it on the sit down set up. It's not about the money or room for one, it's about the set up I'd enjoy and get the most out of. I do pretty good using the John Flynn frame.
    Got fabric?

I definitely prefer loading the quilt vs pushing the sandwich through the machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2