Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gees Bend Quilters

Gees Bend Quilters

A friend of mine told me about this group of quilters in a small town in Alabama. She visited the group once.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...?device=iphone

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link. i'd known about these quilts for some years now, but the smithsonian article was a great read. my christmas gift from my sister this year was a collection of gee's bend quilt postcards. i love them so much, i can't seem to use them to write to anyone
    Nancy in western NY

Gees Bend about 35 minutes from my house. The ladies operate out of a tiny community building and work at home. Many of the folks who live there work here in Selma, if you run into anyone with the name Pettiway they are most likely from Gees Bend. Met several of the ladies at different things around town, craft shows, etc. they also put items for sale in a shop we have here for local artists called Blackbelt Treasures which is in Camden. I sell many things there myself. If any of you ladies would like some pictures I wouldn't mind going and taking some one day this coming week. Just let me know. With the exception of Montgomery all towns around here are small, that is the norm. I think there are only about 45,000 people in the whole county and 22,000 of them are here in Selma.
    Last edited by ontheriver; 01-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
    Gees Bend about 35 minutes from my house. The ladies operate out of a tiny community building and work at home. Many of the folks who live there work here in Selma, if you run into anyone with the name Pettiway they are most likely from Gees Bend. Met several of the ladies at different things around town, craft shows, etc. they also put items for sale in a shop we have here for local artists called Blackbelt Treasures which is in Camden. I sell many things there myself. If any of you ladies would like some pictures I wouldn't mind going and taking some one day this coming week. Just let me know. With the exception of Montgomery all towns around here are small, that is the norm. I think there are only about 45,000 people in the whole county and 22,000 of them are here in Selma.

I would love to see some pictures! My friend who told me about it grew up just outside of Birmingham. She was so excited telling me about her trip there.

There was a Quilt Show in London On Canada about 2-3 yrs ago and it was the quilts from Gees Bend. Some of the ladies were allso at the show. It sure is a different way of quilting. The women do wonderful quilts with what they have to work with.

Saw the exhibit in Memphis years ago. Was very impressed! These ladies demonstrate what quilting is all about. Need, resources, and art...

Some pictures would be lovely!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I would love to see some pictures! My friend who told me about it grew up just outside of Birmingham. She was so excited telling me about her trip there.
    Yes would love to see pictures.
    Carol

Blog Entries
    For those interested in pictures, at the bottom of the article there is a link to a photo gallery.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Thanks for the link,I so enjoyed reading it. Blessings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast