Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Greatest Ruler Storage Solution I've found - - >

Greatest Ruler Storage Solution I've found - -

Greatest Ruler Storage Solution I've found - -

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
QuiltE...still playing with buckets from your former life? It looks like it's working for you. My table top is limited in space so I have a plastic bag hanging on a nearby door knob for fabric scraps, regular waste basket and my rulers are just under my table on the 3 wide drawer plastic units that are so readily available.
Yes ... working for me! ... And you have found what works for you! My larger squares (16-1/2" and 20-1/2") are wedged between the leg of the table and plastic totes that are there. You figured it out re the novelty milk pail and milk can. Need to find something to replace that plastic one, that stacks and keeps with the theme!

The brass bin sits up against a pillar, otherwise, no wall near the table. I was SO tempted to put a garbage can at the end of the table, next to the pillar as there is plenty of room. Then decided NO, bad idea ... something could fall into it, and could easily be lost without knowing.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 AM

4 nails in the wood wall, rulers tamed.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM

I have an old black wire record album (remember those?) holder. Works great and the small rulers and templates hang on a small nail above it.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM

I never thought about anything except hanging mine and now I have too many. But looking at this thread, I realized that a good solid wood magazine rack would work perfectly for me. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM

I have an old wooden cutlery tray I got from my mother years ago. She bought it at Wolworth's for 29 cents. It still has the price sticker on the bottom. As convenient as I find the UPC codes, I do miss the old price stickers as a way of documenting what things cost.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Great idea...now if I could only find something that worked well for all the little gizmos like seam rippers, scissors etc
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
Great idea...now if I could only find something that worked well for all the little gizmos like seam rippers, scissors etc
A coffee mugs works for some of those things. Easy to pick up and mover around.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
Depends on your set up as to what is workable ... think about how you would hold pens on a desk. At my sewing table, I have drawers in the desk that hold them, but also have a divided pencil holder on top of the desk for the most used. Also a small plastic tray, to set things on, and save the desktop.

At the cutting table, I have an utility tote sort of things that has four sections in it. Kind of like the basket that many dishwashers have. It sits nicely in the wooden tray, shown in the photo on the cutting table. My rotary cutters go in there, pencils, markers, stitch ripper, etc. So that the stitch ripper does not fall down and get lost, I have a small pill bottle taped into the corner, as a holder for the ripper.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Thr...d+file+storage

The sides are solid, so the rulers can't fall out. It's inexpensive and doesn't have a large footprint. My rulers are tamed..........finally!
I found one that is twice as long at a garage sale. It had slots in the bottom of the sections. We just taped over the slots and it works wonderfully for the rulers. Sat it on the back of one of my tables.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 AM

I have a large coffee cup for pencils, pens, etc. and a divided tray for all the other little junk. That way I can move it all at once if I need to clear my table. I also like the cut down cartons that beer or canned vegetables come in to corral all the blocks/fabrics for one project. Use plastic donut boxes to hold leftover binding. Love those FREE items to use in my sewing room. If I find something better they can still go to the recycle bin.