Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Hancock's Liquidation Sale has started >

Hancock's Liquidation Sale has started

Hancock's Liquidation Sale has started

Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Well--perhaps it was marked up, but the store I went to said it was closed one day only to prepare--and the bolts I pulled out had the original price tags on them and the clerk used that to take the price to discount off of. Whether they upped prices on items like sewing machines, etc, hard to say. I do know that the Accuquilt die I looked at was the same price as found on line and the 20% off was nice. Since I usually use Hancock coupons on purchases and gauge fabric so I can use them, the 20% off wasn't huge--but I was able to buy LOTS of items and spend quite a bit less--more than the coupons would have given me.
I am so sorry about people losing jobs--had just been in about a week before this and an older lady was saying how nice it was to work there and be able to walk to work since they only have one car. from what I was told the investors that Hancock's had planned on helping them get out of bankruptcy backed out last minute.
I don't shop Hobby Lobby for personal reasons, and the closest Joanne's has a snarky manager and they really need many more workers. I can get to another Joanne's,but just not as convenient. Mostly I buy from the LQS or on line--but I'm a tactile person and like to touch my fabric first!
I was just in the local Hancocks Tuesday, discounts are off the list price, and still about 20 percent (to 50 percent off patterns). I am interested in heavier weight material for slipcovers. .The price before the discount is $24.99. Hancocks regularly had 50 percent off on their upholstery material. So 20 percent is not helpful, when I could have purchased it for $12.50 plus another 20-25 percent off that with a coupon. Can't bring myself to buy it from the liquidator now.

A little disappointing, but still have a lot of sympathy for the employees who are still working in the store. Has to be stressful.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 AM

My daughter in law and I visited one near by us in the Houston area. I looked at elastic at the price was over $5 for 3 yards. I have bought the same package at WalMart for only $1.49. They really did jack up the prices. Most of the other items was $20 percent, a lot of customer leaving empty handed. I am sad for the people that worked there, hope they find jobs.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:36 AM

@ our Hobby Lobby you can't use the 40% off coupon on sale items.However, when the cashier is cutting your fabric, if you tell tell them you want to use the 40% off coupon , they'll write it up @ regular price ,so you can use the coupon @ check out.Do it all the time.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by betty32084 View Post
@ our Hobby Lobby you can't use the 40% off coupon on sale items.However, when the cashier is cutting your fabric, if you tell tell them you want to use the 40% off coupon , they'll write it up @ regular price ,so you can use the coupon @ check out.Do it all the time.
She wouldn't at my closest Hobby Lobby. I read they are all supposed to do that if requested. Maybe I'll try again for curiosity's sake.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
My daughter in law and I visited one near by us in the Houston area. I looked at elastic at the price was over $5 for 3 yards. I have bought the same package at WalMart for only $1.49. They really did jack up the prices. Most of the other items was $20 percent, a lot of customer leaving empty handed. I am sad for the people that worked there, hope they find jobs.
I see a lot of people posting their purchases, but maybe they are at a store that is further along in the liquidation process. Just hasn't worked out that way yet here. And I do have a lot of sympathy for the employees, especially trying to work under trying conditions.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
My hobby lobby would not let me use the 40 percent coupon on fabric since it is already marked down 30 percent. And I did ask if they staff could mark down regular price in order for me to take advantage of the 40 percent. A lot of posters say that have been able to do that, but it just depends.
My Hobby Lobby here in SC gives the 40% off the regular price. I tell the lady at the cutting table I have a coupon and she adjusts the price on my ticket. None of that is done at the checkout.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jean45 View Post
My Hobby Lobby here in SC gives the 40% off the regular price. I tell the lady at the cutting table I have a coupon and she adjusts the price on my ticket. None of that is done at the checkout.
Yes, I asked at the cutting table, but it didn't work out. I did not inquire at the checkout.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Prices have not been changed , the discount will get bigger as the liquidation goes on. We are one of the first group and fleece is now 80% OFF.
Originally Posted by Linda Renfro View Post
Our local newspaper had an article in it yesterday about Hancock's closing. They went on to say that the new owner is known for buying up failing businesses and jacking up the prices then giving the discount of 20% or whatever, when really it's not a discount at all. I don't know if this is true or not, but it was in the newspaper...so I thought I would pass it along. I guess that's where that saying comes in BUYERS BEWARE.

Here is the article from the paperBe wary of Hancock Fabrics' closeout 'deals'
#spacechicken
Jeremy Cox, [email protected] 4:31 p.m. EDT April 7, 2016
290 Shares facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share
Scissors, pins and fabric scraps.Buy Photo

Scissors, pins and fabric scraps. (Photo: Staff photo by Jay Diem)

Bad news for people who like to make their own clothes: Hancock Fabrics is going out of business and closing all of its stores, including its Salisbury location.

The good news? The retailer is liquidating its merchandise online and at its remaining 185 retail stores, including its location in the Twilley Centre off Mount Hermon Road. Right now, that means "savings" on everything of 20-50 percent, which will only get deeper as the sell-off continues.

I say "savings" because they're not really discounting much of anything yet. The Consumerist has the details, but basically the new owner is notorious for buying ailing retail brands (such as Circuit City and Ritz Camera), jacking up the prices, slashing the higher prices and calling it a sale.

DELMARVA DAILY TIMES
Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 AM

A friend and I hit up two Hancock fabrics on Friday. The one in Slidell, LA had everything at 60-80 off. When we walked in at Slidell, it looked like we had missed the party but after we looked a while, there was a lot there. It did look like manufacturers had taken their product back already. The only threads were Gutermans, no rulers and few notions, ect. When we walked in at Daphne, AL, everything was 20 off and no coupons. Need I say, we bought nothing. So it may be worth checking out stores to see what your store is discounted.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:33 AM

I drove 90 minutes to my closest Hancock's last week. What a rip off! Seems like everything was more expensive before the 20% off. I've never $7.00 for a package of Clover quilting needles - one example. Then had to buy a 2 yard minimum for fabrics. The per-yard price on most the quilting fabric was $9-12 even tho I have purchased the same fabric before for $4.99 per yard. I bought a few fat quarters and left. Over 1/3 of the store was fleece.