Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hand Applique Tutorial using Applique pins and transfer paper only

  1. #1
    Senior Member Halfsquare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    This is a great tutorial if you want to do it all by hand without fusible or glues. I am about to start a William Morris Sampler BOM from Stitchin Heaven. Just got my first package today and looked up some demos. Here is my fav:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl..._order&list=UL

    Make sure to watch Part 2 as she shows more complicated designs.

  2. #2
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,807
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    This is a great tutorial if you want to do it all by hand without fusible or glues. I am about to start a William Morris Sampler BOM from Stitchin Heaven. Just got my first package today and looked up some demos. Here is my fav:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl..._order&list=UL

    Make sure to watch Part 2 as she shows more complicated designs.
    I just watched those videos this afternoon. Very helpful. I spent half the afternoon watching videos and reading tutorials. I am going to master this someday.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Halfsquare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    It seems like every project I start with applique needs some sort of different technique depending on the fabrics used, type of applique shapes, and formality of the quilt. I can never get enough demo's. This lady made it look pretty easy. I am just not sure about drawing the shapes onto the background fabric. I think I am going to try the vinyl overlay method to make sure that all the pieces are in correct placement.

  4. #4
    Super Member TFquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    This is a great tutorial if you want to do it all by hand without fusible or glues. I am about to start a William Morris Sampler BOM from Stitchin Heaven. Just got my first package today and looked up some demos. Here is my fav:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl..._order&list=UL

    Make sure to watch Part 2 as she shows more complicated designs.
    You're right...this is awesome...she makes it look pretty easy! Thanks for sharing..

    :thumbup:

  5. #5
    Senior Member Halfsquare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    It's just so nice to be shown how it actually works sometimes. Plus I forget between projects.

  6. #6
    Super Member gramquilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    4,830
    A good tutorial. Something to try.

  7. #7
    Member fantomdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    It seems like every project I start with applique needs some sort of different technique depending on the fabrics used, type of applique shapes, and formality of the quilt. I can never get enough demo's. This lady made it look pretty easy. I am just not sure about drawing the shapes onto the background fabric. I think I am going to try the vinyl overlay method to make sure that all the pieces are in correct placement.
    Is there a good tutorial on using the overlay method? I am using the chalk pencil to transfer my placement to my background fabric, but would like not to have to worry about doing that, if overlay is easier. Thanks for the help.

    Maureen

  8. #8
    Senior Member Halfsquare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomdiva
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    It seems like every project I start with applique needs some sort of different technique depending on the fabrics used, type of applique shapes, and formality of the quilt. I can never get enough demo's. This lady made it look pretty easy. I am just not sure about drawing the shapes onto the background fabric. I think I am going to try the vinyl overlay method to make sure that all the pieces are in correct placement.
    Is there a good tutorial on using the overlay method? I am using the chalk pencil to transfer my placement to my background fabric, but would like not to have to worry about doing that, if overlay is easier. Thanks for the help.

    Maureen
    I have just been folding the complete pattern and the block backing fabric into quarters and then eyeballing it. How perfect does it need to be anyway?

  9. #9
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for the great tutorial

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.