Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Have you seen this video/demo? >

Have you seen this video/demo?

Have you seen this video/demo?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Suz

Default Have you seen this video/demo?

I subscribe to The Fat Quarter Shop's Newsletter and recently there was a video on a new ruler. The demo shows how to make a scalloped edge in a very special way using this special ruler and pusher. A second ruler works in a similar way and makes prairie points. The results are just wonderful. They are offering these rulers in several sizes. I ordered the 1-1/2" scalloped ruler and pusher.

They do make it clear that the made scallop is actually 3". They get the 1-1/2" as one half is seen as one sits in front of the other. I wish I had ordered the 1" set so keep in mind that the 1-1/2" is made at 3"; thus the 1" is made at 2".

Regardless, it is a great idea and am anxious to use same.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9lE1kpvxY5IKc0
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Interesting but I don't think I need another specialty ruler. For something that I only used occasionally, I think I would just draft them by hand.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 AM

I like the look but don't have the patience for all that marking, cutting and pressing. I don't even want to think about making enough binding for a queen size quilt!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 AM

I saw that video too and was quite intrigued by it, as I love scalloped edgings. I did quite a few in my heirloom sewing. I do have a 'shape and press' board that has scallops on it that I can trace. I would use that instead of the ruler...just to save a few $$
Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

here's a recent post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t241153.html
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM

Well gullible me saw the video and ordered the rulers...one scallop and one points...am very disappointed in them....have not used one yet, but they are very thin plastic..half of any other template I have..for the price I thought they would be heftier....so just want all to be aware of that...although I think the idea is great....will try on next tablerunners, I think.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Just a few days ago I watched a short video of two color Continuous Prairie Points on favequilts.com. No special ruler was needed, just a regular quilters ruler. If you google continuous Prairie Ponts, there are several on You Tube and there are many variations to choose from. I have bought several rulers since I started quilting, but only one specialty ruler, the Fons and Porter Half and Quarter Ruler that I thought I absolutely needed, lol. I have two rectangular rulers , a 3" X 18" and a 6" x 24", a 12 1/2" square up, and a set of fussy cuts. Have not used any but the rectangular for any of the blocks that I have made and the square up. Most can be done without specialty rulers, but that is only my opinion. I guess, for me at least, I can buy more fabric if I spend less on items like rulers that I really don't need.

The scallops are a bit of a different story; my GF, back in our highschool days showed me how she did a scalloped hem on a skirt by simply drawing half way around a cup set between two parallel lines drawn on the wrong side of the material about 6" from the hemline. With right sides together, sew on the curved lines and trim away the excess from the folded edge. When you flip right sides out and press, it made a great scalloped edge. We learned that if there's a will there's a way and to learn to improvise. Again, no need for a specialty ruler.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 AM

I watched the video and was intrigued but I thought the lady doing the demo was not specific enough
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM

thanks - I hadn't seen this surprisingly. I thought I'd seen most rulers. I'm a ruler junkie. This is cool but lots of work! Makes things so pretty though.