Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How many Quilt Magazines is enough?? Am I a Hoarder?? >

How many Quilt Magazines is enough?? Am I a Hoarder??

How many Quilt Magazines is enough?? Am I a Hoarder??

Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 AM

Sometimes I do not buy any, then a month comes along and I buy several. Go figure.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
Sometimes I do not buy any, then a month comes along and I buy several. Go figure.

Oh! I'm totally addicted to quilting mags-was addicted to gardening mags when much younger and more able to spend hours in the garden--now my time spent mostly sewing. I take 5--always say I'll stop at 3, but the get a really good deal! I will go through every year and either copy those patterns that I only see a 1 or 2 in that magazine I like--and then it goes in my give away pile-or if there are more than 3, I keep the mag.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM

That's a good idea to just have the disc's doesn't take up as much space and like you said much easier to find a pattern. Sue
Old 05-24-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I had years of back issues of quilting magazines and finally made myself go thru them all. I kept the patterns I wanted to keep and gave the rest to my DD and my BFF
I don't mind a few of these, but BFF is not even on the list, and I can't figure it out.
Well, maybe it's Best Friend Forever?

Last edited by maviskw; 05-24-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Maybe I figured it out!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:58 AM

I don't take any quilt magazines except the Block from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Most are loaded with ads and very few patterns that haven't already been published many times before. There are so many free patterns and videos I don't feel the need for magazines any more. I had about 50 years worth and donated them all when we moved to a smaller house.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 AM

I have only 2 subscriptions but I buy a lot in the stores. LOL I have a large book shelf full of quilt, crafts, crochet and cook books my shelf is 93 inches tall and 48 inches wide, so it holds a lot of books for me.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM

I used to get Quiltmaker" for years, but finally realized that I could find so many free patterns on line.....I had hundreds of magazines and books, but I'm slowing taking a few batches at a time to my local library.....I've tried to sell them at yard sales and Craigslist, etc, but sold very few....At least the library is a good cause....
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM

I have many subscriptions and plan to let them expire as I have every issue of every magazine. I have them organized in stand up magazine boxes (available at Current) and refer to them often. I have every magazine's issue that is for Christmas in a separate place and refer to them each year. So I guess I'm a hoarder because I can't bear to throw any of them away. My stash is beyond what I will ever need and I don't buy fabric anymore. I have easily over 500 quilting books and they are my downfall. I do refer to them often and have flagged the projects that I want to make. It is all part of my passion for quilting and it makes me happy so how bad can it be?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM

I just got through getting rid of over 600 magazines that I had collected since the early 90's. I actually did a major stash overhaul, and sold around 1600 yards of fabric, a variety of patterns, kits, and miscellaneous quilting items. Included in the mix were the magazines. I thought they would sell like wildfire, because I started them at $2.00 each. However, no one bought them. So, I put an ad out as 'for sale by the lot' and sold over 300 to one person
at only $.50 each. Then, I contacted guilds in the area and finally gave away the other 300 plus to a guild where
people willing took them for free. I definitely qualified as a hoarder and decided to do something about it. I saved
only the magazines that had patterns I knew I would make, which amounted to maybe 20 or so. Like you, I couldn't throw them away, and since they were so hard to sell at even $.50 each, I was very happy to find a guild
that would take them. Now I know they have a good home and I feel good about that.

I still love to look at most quilt magazines, but when I'm tempted to buy, I just remember how many I had to
give away.