Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How to needle turn applique using a die cutter, glue and stablizer >

How to needle turn applique using a die cutter, glue and stablizer

How to needle turn applique using a die cutter, glue and stablizer

Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Default How to needle turn applique using a die cutter, glue and stablizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-YJqlz1jm4
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Why would you do the two step of freezer paper, then stabilizer for the needle turn? I have seen quilters iron the freezer paper template to the wrong side of the applique, then glue the edges and press to the freezer paper. Then remove the freezer paper and applique to your quilt....just seems like one step not needed.

Also, I use fusible light weight interfacing, fusible side down on the right side of fabric .. after drawing the design on the smooth side of the interfacing, DO NOT IRON! Stitch around the applique, cut a slit in the interfacing, turn the applique using a wooden stick or other tool to push the edges out. After turning and smoothing, trim the stabilizer, leaving a quarter inch or so of fusible around the back edge. Place your applique in its position and now use an iron to press in place. Then machine or hand applique. Hope this makes sense, sense I am not great at written instruction.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Why would you do the two step of freezer paper, then stabilizer for the needle turn? I have seen quilters iron the freezer paper template to the wrong side of the applique, then glue the edges and press to the freezer paper. Then remove the freezer paper and applique to your quilt....just seems like one step not needed.

Also, I use fusible light weight interfacing, fusible side down on the right side of fabric .. after drawing the design on the smooth side of the interfacing, DO NOT IRON! Stitch around the applique, cut a slit in the interfacing, turn the applique using a wooden stick or other tool to push the edges out. After turning and smoothing, trim the stabilizer, leaving a quarter inch or so of fusible around the back edge. Place your applique in its position and now use an iron to press in place. Then machine or hand applique. Hope this makes sense, sense I am not great at written instruction.
If you try this second method, don't use old fusible interfacing, it won't stick when you press it. I've done this, so I know. Also if there's a high color contrast between the interfacing and your fabric, some of the interfacing might peek out and show. I got around this by using 2 pieces of my fabric instead of one with the interfacing. Then when it was turned right side out the edges were all the same color.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM

I also find the way Lady Diana does it the easiest & accurate.

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM

I also thought it a little bit superfluous...
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM

I found that drawing the pattern on wash away applique stabilizer works best for me. It irons on to the back of the fabric so the pattern has to be reversed. Cut the fabric about 3/8" bigger than the stabilizer. Then just pin in to the background and turn under fabric as you go. The wash away is heavy so it gives a nice crisp edge to work with the turn unders. Then when the piece is done, wash and the stabilizer dissolves, leaving a bit of fluff under the appliqué, sort of like trapunto. Easiest needle turn method I have found and I think I've tried them all :-)
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
I found that drawing the pattern on wash away applique stabilizer works best for me. It irons on to the back of the fabric so the pattern has to be reversed. Cut the fabric about 3/8" bigger than the stabilizer. Then just pin in to the background and turn under fabric as you go. The wash away is heavy so it gives a nice crisp edge to work with the turn unders. Then when the piece is done, wash and the stabilizer dissolves, leaving a bit of fluff under the appliqué, sort of like trapunto. Easiest needle turn method I have found and I think I've tried them all :-)

Maggie, which wash away stabelizer did you use. There are various kind and I want to make sure I get the correct one. Thanks