Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Ideas for small graduation gifts? >

Ideas for small graduation gifts?

Ideas for small graduation gifts?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM

After being inspired by Susan's cosmetic bag idea, I googled "Easy cosmetic bags to make" and found a really cute Pyramid Purse--looks fast and easy.

http://tipnut.com/makeup-bags/

Thanks so much for all the inspiring ideas--I'm going to keep them all in mind for Christmas too!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 AM

I took a picture of my daughter and two of her friends that she has shown horses with, printed the picture on fabric, and made them each a small rectangler pillow. I used horsey fabric, put a big ruffle on them.

I'd include a picture....but I don't know how to attach it!
Wow! I figured it out!

Thanks for the Make-up bag link - I love it!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189271.jpe  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 AM

When my daughter was due to graduate, I felt like she was all grown up and would be leaving home sooner than I wanted. Reflecting back on her childhood, I could see the bright twinkly eyes and turned up nose framed by the curly blonde hair... and hear the heart warmimg laughter that can curl a mothers toes with happiness. I dearly miss those days when she would slip her small hand in mine whenever we journeyed outside our home.
Selfishly I purchased a case of bubbles (the kind with the wand that we played with when she was little) and gave a bottle to each of her classmates with a poem I wrote about staying young at heart, even though time had turned them into promising young adults. The poem instructed them to take out their bubbles whenever they felt the need to revisit their carefree innocent childhood. Graduation night, to my surprise they brought their bubbles and filled the small auditorum with the small irridescent spheres while each student took their walk across the stage.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 AM

I like the idea of pillow cases . They are fast and easy to make. Since you knew them since Brownies , I would get some Brownie fabric and use that for the cuff of the pillowcase.The main part of the pillowcase , I would choose a fabric according to their hobbies, what they are studyng to be etc.They would really appreciate them.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM

How about a quilt that has a pocket on one end that you fold into it and makes a pillow? They make up fairly fast.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM

edensgaite, you made me want to cry. I know how hard it is to let her go. That was a warm and wonderful idea.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Juphvi
My daughter will be graduating in June and I'd love to make some type of small gift for her and 6 of her friends who I've know since I had them in Brownies years ago. I've already made them each a wonder wallet and chicken pincushions--I'm running out of ideas. The wise woman would've had in idea by now, but that wouldn't be me. :?
Here is a link to a tute for a small water bottle tote. Maybe you could include a reusable water bottle to go along with it.
http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/2006...ottle-carrier/
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
edensgaite, you made me want to cry. I know how hard it is to let her go. That was a warm and wonderful idea.
Thank you. It's a time I'll cherish always
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

A memory quilt!
Just give them one piece of it for graduation, then you "buy" the time you need to finish them!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Quilted laptop case.

http://robingallagher.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html