Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
If I can't help you I know someone that can >

If I can't help you I know someone that can

If I can't help you I know someone that can

Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM

If I can't help you with your longarm quilting because I'm too booked up, I have resouces that I use to help me. They are wonderful quilters and have been helping me along. I believe their prices are the same or very near the same as mine. I can give you the names of 4 or more and you can compare pricing. I swear, they are much better than I. Suzanne Early has written a book, she practially runs the longarm site and just opened a new shop, for one. Let me know if you are interested in being referred.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

concerning the long arm quilt machin,

Is it worth for a hobby or do I have to do other's work to make it worth my while? I am facinated by the long arm. I have seen it demonstrated several times.

Very curious.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM

I thought about it for about 4 years before I finally got one. Have you shopped around to see all your options? Honestly, I'll never live long enough to get back my investment. There is such a large range of quilting systems that it could take you a long time to make a decision, if you're like me. I'll try to help you with finding a system in your price range, if I can. You will probably LOVE long arm quilting.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 AM

I totally agree with you. I don't worry about getting my investment back. . I'm just offering referrals to those that want or need to get their quilts done before I am able to help. I enjoy pleasing piece quilters I need to take a little time to do some practicing for custom quilts. I love custom quilting but don't want to disappoint anyone in the future.
I AM still taking orders but I'm backed up until mid November and I'm not taking any in December. I feel so special that several of you like my work and I totally appreciate the orders. I just don't want to feel rushed and wind up doing a terrible job on someone's quilt.
NO, I'M NOT QUITTING TAKING ORDERS :-P
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 AM

jacque...There are prob many of us shopping around for a reasonable system and prob others looking to work on others for money too...my question is there seems to be a secret about the 'how' w/so many. I have a friend that machine quilts and I had seen a quilt up on the frame for stippling..and, they were perfect and matched each other. I asked if she used a stencil, etc...my answer is it was free handed. Maybe it was, but, I really am having a hard time believing that since they matched perfectly like puzzle pieces. So, I guess my main question is...once a person purchases and practices...does pretty well, but, wants to do awesome...are there classes out there for this that you can learn more??How do you find them? Hope this makes sense and if others know here...if they would answer too...thanks Skeat
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM

I have also toyed with the idea of trying to get into professional long arm quilting. What kind of equipment did you purchase? And what's involved before you're ready to "open your doors" and have the courage to ask quilters to pay for your services?

Inquiring quilters' minds what to know ....

Joanne
Old 08-31-2008, 06:32 AM

Skeat.....there are tons of classes out there from the novice to the most experienced. This is a craft that you never stop learning. There are new things out every day.
The best places to get classes (and the cheapest) are major quilt shows. Like Road to Calif, Innovations, MQX,(Machine quilters expo) MQS (Machine quilters showcase) and many more. Also, some of the quilt shops or longarm sales shops give classes.
Our suggestion is to try all of the brands that you can get to. Most all quilt shows now have longarm vendors where you can go and play with the machines. The machine that is right for one person may not be right for everyone.

Joanne......Once you have decided what machine to get, you will also need a license, pay taxes, buy thread, rulers and templates, stencils, bags to return customers quilts, an extend abase for using your rulers. This is a very expensive hobby to get into and not for the faint of heart.
When you are ready to take in customer quilts depends entirely up to you. You do have to PPP (practice, practice, practice) Some people can develope quickly, some people never seem to get it at all and eventually sell out.
You also have to do some leg work. How many quilters are in your area? How many longarmers? What are you going to charge? Some areas can't afford us, some don't care what we charge.
It's a business, treat it as such.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 AM

sspingler...thanks for all that info...I wrote it down and will be doing some research on all that:))I don't want to be just 'okay...I want to be better at this even if it is just for myself:))Thanks! Skeat
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 AM

You are very welcome Skeat. One thing that you will find with quilters is that since they love what they do, they enjoy passing along knowledge.
One thing I forgot to mention is find out what the other longarmers in your area specialize in. Find out what you are good at and be the best in the area. Some people are good at freehand, some at pantos, some in custom. That's what I specialize in, custom.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM

Thanks Sharon for answering all those questions. You did a much better job than I would have. I still have so much to learn :thumbup: