Inspiration vs Copying; an article by Sue Bleiweiss

Inspiration vs Copying; an article by Sue Bleiweiss

Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Default Inspiration vs Copying; an article by Sue Bleiweiss

https://suebleiweiss.blog/2017/04/02...on-vs-copying/
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I agree with some of her boo hoos but I think a few she is way over sensitive about.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Please explain this one to me: I bought a packet of quilting motifs. A couple years later I made a table topper from one of the quilting magazines most current issues. When looking thru my books for a design to quilt it with, I saw the exact design as the applique from the new magazine, in the quilting motif packet I had bought years before, but it was not the same name as the designer of the topper. The motif was published first. The magazine "designer" took this motif, used it for the applique border, which was the major part of the project, and it was published in the magazine as her own design. It was the exact design, and, I believe, the same size. It looked as though nothing was changed. This was a well known quilter/designer.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:32 PM

She makes many very good points. Unfortunately with social media and technology, it will continue to be very hard for artists to protect their art. Reproducing someone's art without permission or proper credit is stealing. Fortunately, it is very easy with that same technology to reach out and ask for permission. Many quilt shows are requiring letters of permission from quilt designers who generally will give it with enthusiasm. I have friends who design quilts and sell patterns. it is not an easy job and I feel for them.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:11 PM

She makes very valid points, and I am rooting for her, and I am thinking she is not wrong......and then I see her art work (and fabric selling on spoonflower) called "It takes a village". Does that title not "belong" to H R Clinton? Please pick a new title, just to be safe. And it would be great if she sold some patterns if she wants to live in the quilt world, rather than the art world where her work is in "private collections around the world". Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:58 PM

"It takes a village(to raise a child) is an African proverb that was in use many years before H R Clinton wrote her book. I think this is a good example of why this topic is so confusing. Sometimes you just don't know if something is in the public domain or if it is artistic property.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 AM

I read the article,don't really know the author's work, but am a bit confused...or maybe my comprehension is way off. But I got out of that article, that if you " copy" one of her designs, you must first ask permission to do so and then affix a label on the piece you have "copied" stating the origination/designer. But if it "inspires" you, just ask permission? So why would I want to even look at her work if it is so restrictive. Or is this the case with all patterns being sold or offered in books and magazines?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:45 AM

WOW Maybe I will not look at another book, just look out the window for my inspiriation
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 AM

Sorry, if it is on the internet, I thought it was in the 'public domain'. If you buy a pattern, that is a different story.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 AM

I can understand not using her images or exactly reproducing her patterns...I had that happen when I had my own business (In custom horse tack) and someone used my images in their advertising. I contacted them and claimed copyright and they took them down right away but they should have known better....

But, if I like her colour choices, I'm supposed to contact her and ask if I can use them? That seems excessive. If I like that she put purple and green together, I'm supposed to ask her for permission to go to my LQS and buy purple and green fabrics for my next quilt? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Watson