Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Instructions for hollow cube blocks (for OBWs or anywhere!) >

Instructions for hollow cube blocks (for OBWs or anywhere!)

Instructions for hollow cube blocks (for OBWs or anywhere!)

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Here's a link to how to make the hollow cube blocks as used in One Block Wonders. http://books.google.fr/books?id=btQ0...onders&f=false

They could be used anywhere you like of course! :D
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Here's a link to how to make the hollow cube blocks as used in One Block Wonders. http://books.google.fr/books?id=btQ0...onders&f=false

They could be used anywhere you like of course! :D
Well .... hmmmm .... I looked at the pages, and I am going to try it my way first! LOL <wave> in the book, the math WOULD be a nightmare ... too many places for mistakes ... I will keep thinking <g> <wave>
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I hear you Omak, but if you follow it through step by step, cut strips the size she says etc, it's straightforward. Only thing is, you'd have to change the measurements if your original OBWs were other than 3 3/4" strips...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I don't mean to sound mean but, I think the cube blocks take away from the looks of the hexagons. If I were to use them I would put them on the borders. Just my toughts,
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Not mean at all JB - we're all entitled to our opinion! :-D Personally, I think they fit in some quilts and are a good tool if the OBW
effect is either not striking enough or if there are awkward transitions in the design to be bridged. Sometimes they
completely dominate to the detriment of the whole quilt, other times,
they lift a quilt from the mediocre to the spectacular. I'd say that they should be considered on a 'quilt by quilt' basis and shouldn't be added to a design just for the sake of it!
That's my humble but honest opinion! :-D :-D :-D
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Not mean at all JB - we're all entitled to our opinion! :-D Personally, I think they fit in some quilts and are a good tool if the OBW
effect is either not striking enough or if there are awkward transitions in the design to be bridged. Sometimes they
they lift a quilt from the mediocre to the spectacular. I'd say that they should be considered on a 'quilt by quilt' basis and shouldn't be added to a design just for the sake of it!
agreed! A good explanation for the possibilities of this technique. That 3.75" tip is a good thing to keep in mind. I will keep pondering (get the book, don't get the book).
No matter if my explorations end up not looking like the cubes (without the book), the fabric pieces will just be "seed" for my next scrap quilt ... as though I have to look for something to put into my scrap quilts! LOL <wave>
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Very nicely said. I totally agree with you.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
THE BLOCKS MAKE THE QUILT reach a new dimension. Love it 100% +
Old 01-17-2024, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by k3n View Post
I hear you Omak, but if you follow it through step by step, cut strips the size she says etc, it's straightforward. Only thing is, you'd have to change the measurements if your original OBWs were other than 3 3/4" strips...
What is the math for using larger OBW........4inch strips which I think comes out to a 7 inch finished hex ??? I cannot figure out the math to make the open blocks.........