Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Karen Kay Buckley ruler >

Karen Kay Buckley ruler

Karen Kay Buckley ruler

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Whatever. The box it comes in does look to be very pretty.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I don't see the difference if I use it once or a hundred times. It's just an acrylic ruler, no big deal either way.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Suz

I do a lot of applique and having taken several courses from Karen (one being a Baltimore Album w/3-D flowers), this ruler would serve me best in squaring up once the applique was completed. She touched on the 3-D thing lightly in her demo, but what she was saying in using a conventional square ruler, it rocked over the 3-D and it was impossible to lay the ruler flat and get a good line for cutting and squaring. We students even attempted to make a frame to surround our work for a cutting guide. Squaring up was very difficult but I can see this ruler would be so helpful. This ruler may have to go on my Christmas wish list.

Incidentally, if you ever have the opportunity to take a class, a trunk show, etc w/Karen, please do so. She is obviously talented but also a "hoot and a hollar" (a fun fun teacher). When we took the Baltimore Album classes, she came to us every month for a year and we looked forward to her appearing and entertainment. AND, when you look at the video from #1 above, what you do not see in the yellow, rectangular quilt, that it is covered with beading. Just absolutely covered!! What a treasure!! -- Yep, I'm a Karen fan.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 AM

This ruler is way too contrived!!! The box is pretty though.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I was a happy camper yesterday. Stopped at the sewing center for a " Add A Quarter" ruler just because I was in the area. Thought about it for quite some time and was surprised at the cost but ordering on line I just didn't want to pay $5.00 shipping for $15.00 ruler (18"). Anyway they happened to have the 12" and 6". I got both and had a coupon from a drawing for 35% off my next purchase. Ended up paying around $15.00 +tax. Prior to my stop I had come from JoAnn's and got a pair of razor edge Fiskars at 40% off. Was a very happy camper.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 AM

I don't know anything about her ruler, but I have to say KKB's scissors are fabulous! They are so sharp and cut so neatly. I have all three sizes. They are a little pricey but whoa, I love 'em!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I do a lot of applique and having taken several courses from Karen (one being a Baltimore Album w/3-D flowers), this ruler would serve me best in squaring up once the applique was completed. She touched on the 3-D thing lightly in her demo, but what she was saying in using a conventional square ruler, it rocked over the 3-D and it was impossible to lay the ruler flat and get a good line for cutting and squaring. so helpful. .
If I understood her correctly the center cutout was 4" square? The dimensional applique I've done (and what I've seen online with baltimore blocks) extends to within 1/4" of the edge. The ruler in that case would still rock wouldn't it?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
ALL the pieces you need to make it a 24" square is included.
So is the Amazing Hugo Tape (I already have a 1" wide roll of it).

When I rejoin the AQS (American Quilter's Society) I will be saving
$13.99 on the cost.

For me it gives me all the sizes I normally use within 1 ruler I like that
part. As for the hammer. easily obtained online at a cheaper cost.

How much is membership to AQS...what other benefits to be a member?

I really don't see me using that...maybe for those who do much appliqué work this would be useful. Hugo tape? Like sandpaper rounds or invisitape? I am a certified gadget lover/buyer...but this one just isn't tempting me at all....
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
If I understood her correctly the center cutout was 4" square? The dimensional applique I've done (and what I've seen online with baltimore blocks) extends to within 1/4" of the edge. The ruler in that case would still rock wouldn't it?
When my friend and I was trying the ruler the middle cut out was made bigger if needed by adding more pieces. There are a lot of pieces.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM

I also think her scissors are the best.