Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Leah Day switched to Juki TL2010Q! >

Leah Day switched to Juki TL2010Q!

Leah Day switched to Juki TL2010Q!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Has she ever tried quilting on a longarm.........watched the video and it seems her needs would be better satisfied with a longarm instead of a DM...and if the price of that Juki is actually 10K as someone mentioned, she could have gotten a l/a or a mid arm! She sounds like a good commercial for the machine she now has!!! Jmho
Leah's new Juki is in the $900-1,000 range. :-)
I think I read on her website some time ago why she doesn't want to use a longarm.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:26 AM

I have the Brother equivalent of this new machine of hers,which was made for Brother by Juki. I agree with her - it has the best stitch for quilting other than a long arm and is easy to use. I have a day light for extra lighting.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Leah's new Juki is in the $900-1,000 range. :-)
I think I read on her website some time ago why she doesn't want to use a longarm.
She does say in the video that the sit-down machines might be worth looking at. For Leah, I would say that would definitely be a plus for her. She has already mastered the art of controlling the quilt but the sit-down machines would give her a lot more work space.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:02 AM

...oh sorry read wrong...I added another 0 to actual cost of her new machine!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM

I have the same Juki machine as Leah - mine was around $500 on sale, and it was a "show model". So I think you've got that price a bit high.

I loved reading about the ten-year-old sewing with her knee. That's about the age I started to sew, and I also sewed on the floor with my knee on the pedal. Brought back some great memories! Now I can't even get up off the floor... LOL.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Has she ever tried quilting on a longarm.........watched the video and it seems her needs would be better satisfied with a longarm instead of a DM...and if the price of that Juki is actually 10K as someone mentioned, she could have gotten a l/a or a mid arm! She sounds like a good commercial for the machine she now has!!! Jmho
I think she's posted in the past why she didn't want a longarm (though she had also posted that she'd never need to spend more than $500 for a machine- so clearly her views evolve over time)- but to me, a main reason is that she is an EXTREMELY skilled quilter in the mode she does it- moving the quilt. Getting a longarm would require her to learn how to quilt all over again, by moving the needle on a stationary quilt.

I did ask why she chose the Juki over a sit down mid-arm, but she didn't reply. I'm interested to see how she does on the Juki in the next year or so. I've run into visibility issues on my Bernina- you just can't see what is behind the needle. And it isn't a chair issue, as if I lowered the chair, my arms wouldn't be at the right height. All the pieces have to fit together for ergonomics. This Juki is inexpensive for a quilting machine, and it might be worth trying.

Of course, it would have to be a second machine- as a straight stitch only machine doesn't meet my sewing needs.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Actually I have this machine. I paid $799.00 for it. I'd think she paid less.