Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
myths about irons from Nancy Zieman >

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

Old 10-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

Default myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

I found this very interesting. I'm not suggesting anyone change what they are doing - and I don't have a Brita or water on the frig door - but I think this explains some of our issues

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...ing-iron-water
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

It would be helpful if the directions that came with an iron SAID this in so many words!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 AM

Notice she did say that it also depends on where you live. In Norfolk we have some of the safest water around, proven fact. I always use tap water and never have any problems. I don't buy really expensive irons because I've heard horror stories about them leaking, etc. I don't want to spend that much money on one and have it leak all over the place even though I love the though of the Olisio where it raises itself back up off the ironning board. My irons last for many years and the only criteria is that they have auto shut off and not a high price tag.

The water in Norfolk is the one thing that I do like about it getting colder during the winter. I can go in and turn the tap on and have ice cold glass of water to drink, no ice
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Very interesting. I have been using tap water with the small Brita filter water bottle. Haven't got a new filter for quite a while. Guess I will need to buy one. Thanks for this information.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:35 AM

The Reliable Velocity stated that. They also had a filter you had to change. Once you changed the filter, you could see what was in your tap water.

I have what's called a SIP faucet. It's filtered. Lots nicer than a Brita filter hanging off the faucet, or a Brita pitcher.

I prefer it for baking along with drinking use.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 AM

I use water straight from the fridge door (yes it is filtered) and it still clogs up my irons....
Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I have found it is easiest to just use a dry iron with no water. If I need steam or moisture I have a spray mist bottle. I spritz then press with a dry hot iron. Works great and my irons last a really long time and I never ever have spits, dribbles or leaks.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 AM

I also go with a dry iron. Just have had too many issues in the past with steam irons. Spray bottle on the side works great for me.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 AM

In my mothers day, when the ironing was finished she emptied the reservoir. I think this is why her iron lasted 20+ years and a few more with me.

Many irons have plastic reservoir now so I'd think it isn't useful to drain, but many irons with auto shut off, don't actually shut off. They rest at quick-reheat setting and overnight can drain the reservoir, I guess via evaporation. so the water is still going through the system
Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Wonderful tips and I discovered I have been doing it right for years.