Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New Fold And Sew Style Quilts Instruction Video Links >

New Fold And Sew Style Quilts Instruction Video Links

New Fold And Sew Style Quilts Instruction Video Links

Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 PM

Default New Fold And Sew Style Quilts Instruction Video Links

I am always on the lookout for new sewing/quilting techniques to experiment and incorporate into my own creations. Here is the new Fold And Sew technique that is so quick and interesting to do. I cannot wait to try it. The two Websites featured below is to allow you access in case one of them proves to be difficult to access the same video on it.

You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV64kXet7s

National Quilter's Circle Own Website:
"........Peg Spradlin shows us a quick and easy quilting technique for your next project. Fold and Sew Quilts are fun and easy projects that may be a good change of pace after you have completed a long, tedious quilt. Watch as Peg walks you through the process of creating a fold and sew quilt and get started on your own!......."-http://www.nationalquilterscircle.co...nd-sew-quilts/

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 12-30-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

I plan to use it the next time I do a Square in a Square quilt.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 AM

Thank you so much for this. It is wonderful. Going to try this today.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 AM

I would be alright for a small project, however you are taking off a half inch when doing this, la quarter on all 4 sides????
Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 AM

Well, you would normally lose a 1/4" on each side when sewing together. And I understand her quest for quick and easy BUT that is adding another layer of fabric to the quilt. Or am I missing something.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

When you start adding up the fabric sewn on top of the others, that is a lot of wasted fabric and I agree also with AZ Jane another layer. I did btw try this on couple pieces and all I could see was waste and the one with the triangle corners for pockets was not bad if that was one's intent. I really don't want to waste on purpose. I'm a tightwad when it comes to fabric cost.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 AM

That is what I am thinking, too - - it would be fast and easy - but you essentially are using a lot more fabric (not saving scraps). In looking at this YouTube site caught another video of Nat Sew Circle (same company) that deals with sewing and variations of circles in your blocks that was also interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAsLjQQpfLw They have some great ideas and look nice, just not fabric saving. But I plan to try a couple blocks of them for fun and see. :-)
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Well, you would normally lose a 1/4" on each side when sewing together. And I understand her quest for quick and easy BUT that is adding another layer of fabric to the quilt. Or am I missing something.
this is what i was thinking also. and folding the square to a prairie point uses a lot of fabric, too. i guess i'm just too frugal for that
Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM

This is very interesting. I've never thought of using this. I think I will try it soon.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 PM

I always willing to explore any new sewing/quilting idea or technique, without any prior prejudice, that happens my way. My sewing/quilting personal needs and demands from outside sources are as varied and even unpredictable as whatever life or circumstances places whatever demands on them. I understand very well all of your concerns about possible to probable waste with this particular method of quiltmaking. And yes, as a former sewing professional (before the massive movement of the fashion industry disappearing overseas never to return in numbers), and an avid quilter, I do see some noticeable waste if I chose any folding fabric methods (this one as well as the 5 and 10 Minute Blocks series of books and videos as well) rather than painstakingly measuring, cutting, and sewing a bunch of little pieces. On some projects, I simply don’t have the time for that. I still need accuracy and durability included as any other past sewing project I have created has built into them. But not time or sometimes even patience to follow through much more than a quick run on a sewing machine.

An sewing example. Today as I am writing this post is the last day of 2014-New Year’s Eve. I desperately needed my new pair of unaltered pants I bought recently right away (kept putting off preparing & altering them for use-not too bright I know now). So I brought out my very simple rather boring basic straight and zigzag stitch Kenmore sewing machine and went to work using the Euro“Magic”Hem method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaoE5JuuZeM & http://www.sewmuchado.com/2011/06/tu...ginal-hem.html) in order to preserve the original hem as well as finish as fast as I could (around 5 or so minutes total).

I changed the type of pants I sewed to more dressy knit ones than the jeans usually sewn using this method (and came out just as nice).
As modern quilters and sewists, the demands of today might just override the luxury of a small amount of potential waste (in this case, the fabric I cut away after the hem was sewn in). I am almost out the door with a few hours to spare, not eye strained or tired out at all by choosing this method rather than more traditional and demanding hemming methods.

Before I close down the computer, Happy New Year all, best of luck and use for whatever method you choose to do in this and all years to come! I will continue to hunt for these wonderful time saving gems in the New Year and beyond (a tiny New Year resolution for the quilting/sewing world).

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 12-31-2014 at 09:17 PM.