Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New JoAnns Store >

New JoAnns Store

New JoAnns Store

Old 11-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Default New JoAnns Store

I'm just back from checking out the new Joann's opening today in nearby Burlington, Iowa. I didn't have too high hopes as the old store was small and not impressive. I could not believe what I saw the minute I stepped inside. We were actually handed a map. Yes, a map! It was that big and carried so many more items. I was overjoyed to see they even had the retro toweling with stripes. 3 towels / $10.99. After using a coupon, that'll be a really good. It was too busy today to buy anything(check out lines were 20-30 people long), but I can't wait to go back after the crowd slows down. I'm thrilled to have such a store within a few minutes of home.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy walking through our JoAnn's or the one near my son's house in WA State, even if I don't buy anything. Just t be around all that sewing/quilting stuff gives me a lift.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I'm just back from checking out the new Joann's opening today in nearby Burlington, Iowa. I didn't have too high hopes as the old store was small and not impressive. I could not believe what I saw the minute I stepped inside. We were actually handed a map. Yes, a map! It was that big and carried so many more items. I was overjoyed to see they even had the retro toweling with stripes. 3 towels / $10.99. After using a coupon, that'll be a really good. It was too busy today to buy anything(check out lines were 20-30 people long), but I can't wait to go back after the crowd slows down. I'm thrilled to have such a store within a few minutes of home.
I used to like JoAnn's, but for the past several years it seems that they have more "stuff" than fabric. Their fabric has become very expensive, right in line with a lot of quilt shops but without the quality to back up the price. I really wish they'd go back to the way things used to be and let the craft items to places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I'm just sayin'.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 AM

A new store opened in Tyler, Tx for anyone close. It is a nice, clean, bright store and I enjoyed shopping. I wish it was a little closer to me, but maybe that is a good thing it is not.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I used to like JoAnn's, but for the past several years it seems that they have more "stuff" than fabric. Their fabric has become very expensive, right in line with a lot of quilt shops but without the quality to back up the price. I really wish they'd go back to the way things used to be and let the craft items to places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I'm just sayin'.
Yes, they certainly have expanded in their categories...everything from a-z......I want to know who buys greeting cards there? Or dust brooms? This last visit I found quilting books in fabric dept. ( in two different places), then in pattern section, and near checkout section? And not only quilting books, but other craft books in those same places.......along with cookbooks! I guess the idea is to snare every kind of crafter.........
Old 11-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Swap Hosts

I wish I could say the same for our Joann's. I used to go at least once a week, but lately it's so dark, dirty and disorganized that it's a chore to find anything. The store was recently "upgraded" and I just don't like the new higher shelves. They block the light and it's too difficult to get bolts back in place so they're scattered all over the floor. So sad. I'll have to hit the road to visit some of your wonderful new stores! I will confess that today, armed with a 60% off coupon I did go and found some cotton toweling for making tea towels. Then off to a tiny hole-in-the-wall store where I generally purchase lace trims and rick rack -- I was delighted to see that they had a wide range of quilting cottons, so that's where my fabric dollars will go.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Glad you had a good experience with your new JoAnn's. Our store relocated last year to a booming new shopping area and the store is twice the size of the old one. But I kind of hate it. All the old, familiar employees are gone, the new ones aren't helpful and don't seem to know anything about fabric, including how to cut it, and while there's a lot more "stuff" in general, the fabric selection seems poorer. I was there just yesterday looking for hardware for bags (strap connections, fasteners, etc.) and it's all in different areas, according to manufacturer, apparently. One display was against a far wall, another in a center aisle. I suspect this is part of the new marketing ploy--I see the same thing in many stores now, including supermarkets-- in order to make customers walk around (and buy) more, but it's annoying to those of us who go in with a purpose and then waste time trying to find what we want. What's more the new store is farther from where I live .

I find I shop JoAnn's less and less, whereas in the old, smaller, shabby, nearer and more comfortable store I was in there at least once a week and sometimes several times a week. JoAnn's, for me, may be going the way Penney's did when it "improved" its stores, in that I just don't darken their doors as often. Shopping online gets more and more tempting.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Ditto on expensive and ditto on quality at JoAnns. Much of it is from China. Two shops I frequent, and it isn't often enough because they are a distance, have fabric made in other countries and most from Japan, which is less cost and feels so wonderful, great quality.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I buy the retro striped towel at Walmart 3 in a package for $7.50.

Is this the towels you like?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aunt-Marth...Color/24660662
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I enjoy walking through our JoAnn's or the one near my son's house in WA State, even if I don't buy anything. Just t be around all that sewing/quilting stuff gives me a lift.
I like to go to the one near Crossroads mall in Bellevue, WA.