Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New kind of cutting mat, well to me anyway

  1. #1
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,326

    New kind of cutting mat, well to me anyway

    Made to order! What ever size you want. A bit pricey but I think well worth the money. My cutting table is 7 ft long and I have to butt two mats together sometimes. Joanns and other stores have a mat that is about 59x36 but I need bigger to cover my entire top. And get this, this order to size mat is self healing! You can order one here
    http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalo...ting-mats.html

    No I'm not affiliated with this company in anyway, just an obsessive surfer of quilting ideas.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    160
    I thought the prices were not too bad for the size you are getting - thanks for the site - maybe my dinning room table has a chance of serviving my quilting obsession.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Michellesews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    El Paso Texas
    Posts
    661
    I purchased one of these for my cutting table. They are somewhat "spongy" compared to the self healing green mats, and you seem to need to push a little harder on the rotary cutter, but for the most part, it does beat butting two mats together and having them slip and slide around.
    Michelle Guadarrama

  4. #4
    Super Member CoyoteQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    Thanks for the link! I have been dreading getting a new mat.... I really want a large one for my whole table, but the others are priced way to high.... I have a very old Olfa mat that I love. It is not self healing and it has stood up my abuse for over 10 years, so I really did get my monies worth! Would really love to find another one of these....

  5. #5
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Thanks for the link! I have been dreading getting a new mat.... I really want a large one for my whole table, but the others are priced way to high.... I have a very old Olfa mat that I love. It is not self healing and it has stood up my abuse for over 10 years, so I really did get my monies worth! Would really love to find another one of these....
    I can relate, I kept my first one for about 10 years also. It got little use but it still was warped and had tons of cuts in it. It was one of the the gray mats that wasn't self healing. I just replaced it about a year ago and now I'm looking for something a little bit bigger. Looking for some reviews on one of these before I buy it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    So. Nevada
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    I purchased one of these for my cutting table. They are somewhat "spongy" compared to the self healing green mats, and you seem to need to push a little harder on the rotary cutter, but for the most part, it does beat butting two mats together and having them slip and slide around.
    As far as mats slipping around as you cut, what I did was put those sticky velcro squares on each corner of my mat. I can still take it up if I need to. My mat has never slipped since doing this.

  7. #7
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    7,610
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    Made to order! What ever size you want. A bit pricey but I think well worth the money. My cutting table is 7 ft long and I have to butt two mats together sometimes. Joanns and other stores have a mat that is about 59x36 but I need bigger to cover my entire top. And get this, this order to size mat is self healing! You can order one here
    http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalo...ting-mats.html

    No I'm not affiliated with this company in anyway, just an obsessive surfer of quilting ideas.
    Let us know how you like yours. I have a long cutting table, too (It's a hollow core door resting on bookshelves) but I don't use the full length for cutting (where would I pile all my junk? LOL!). But I would like a larger mat than I have now.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  8. #8
    Super Member wraez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Adelanto, CA
    Posts
    3,971
    Looks like the kind that the local community college has for quilt classes .... gotta be big to let several people cut fabrics at the same time.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

    Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

  9. #9
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,184
    Wow, great deals, thanks for sharing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

  10. #10
    Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    I purchased one of these for my cutting table. They are somewhat "spongy" compared to the self healing green mats, and you seem to need to push a little harder on the rotary cutter, but for the most part, it does beat butting two mats together and having them slip and slide around.
    to keep your two mats or one mat from slipping around on cutting table, put some of that "stuff" that is used to keep dishes in your kitchen cabinet from moving around. It is rubbery like and keeps the cutting board in place. No name comes to mind but maybe someone else will recognize what I am talking about and give it a name.
    quilting with my dogs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.