Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Oh, groan!  Another temptation!  The Accuquilt Go! Qube....... >

Oh, groan! Another temptation! The Accuquilt Go! Qube.......

Oh, groan! Another temptation! The Accuquilt Go! Qube.......

Old 11-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I have a GO Big as my only Christmas wish list and just got this ad emailed. Sounds very good to me but please clarify for me--if you buy a die separately do you get several of the same shape so you can cut a whole sheet of them at once??
O
It depends on the die. In the Qube, it looks pretty clear that each die is only about 6" square (the 12" Qube might be bigger). This means that the die will cut one square, two half-square triangles, four quarter-square triangles, etc. You can layer fabric up to about 5 layers thick, which means you can cut 5 squares with one pass. If you check out the older geometric dies, you will see that some of them cut multiples of the same shape. For example, I have a die that cuts 4" finished triangles (two triangles finish to 4" square). This die takes a 6"x12" cutting mat because it cuts *4* half-square triangles in one pass. The Studio dies (work only on the Studio machines) often cut many more multiples than the Go! dies.

For someone just starting out with the Go!, the Qube might be nice to have because it allows you to make different patterns that all finish to the same size block. It might be worthwhile to purchase one of the Qube sets in the block size you like best.

For those of us who have had the Go! for some time and purchased dies, we may already have a die that is duplicated in the Qube set (and our existing die may cut multiples of the shape). Also, I am not sold on using the Go! for squares and rectangles; they are so easy to cut with my rotary cutter. What I really like the Go! for cutting is odd shapes that are harder to cut accurately with a rotary cutter (triangles with all the dog ears cut off, hexagons, circles, tumblers, etc.) and applique shapes (since I do only turned-edge applique, I use the dies to quickly cut freezer paper templates). Many people also really like the strip dies, although I find it easier to just rotary cut strips.

If you go to the Accuquilt website and wander among the geometric dies, you will see exactly how many multiples are on each die.

Edit: Having one of the Qubes would be nice for cutting scrap fabrics into useable sizes for scrap quilts. You would know that all of the cut pieces will fit together in various designs.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-01-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:36 PM

I agree with Prism99 - since I have a lot of dies, getting the set is not something I am truly interested in at this point but the it would be a good idea for the folks that like to cut scraps in advance it would be nice to have.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
...This means that the die will cut one square, two half-square triangles, four quarter-square triangles, etc.....
If the dies do cut the 2 HSTs, & 4 QSTs then it will be better than the Studio version which as I mentioned cut a SINGLE shape of each. One square, one HST etc. I hope they do post the outlines of the actual dies included so you can see exactly what's there!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 AM

I did go back to site and found a place where it does list each die in each set......not a drawing of each cutout, but name, size of die......and I have most of those already....if I wanted to fill in the blanks I might....I would like a pic of what blocks these little qubes create ....that would be a nice concise idea collection...anyone know if such a thing is on the site?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I ordered the 12 inch block Qube. I probably have some of the shapes on other dies but I like the fact these are smaller and altogether and uses a small mat. The set will be easy to store too. I don't mind paying for convenience. I use the Go the most cutting squares and rectangles. I don't see why I would cut by rotary when the Go will do it for me.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

ik also don't do enough to warrant spending that.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You have to think of how many times you would use it. I seldom do traditional piecing and find myself cutting different widths of strips for my quilts. It wouldn't be worth the cost for myself.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM

thank you all that have Accuquilts and could answer my questions. I do want one--I've realized that despite attempting to be very careful, sometimes my rotary cutting lacks precision and I typically like to cut an entire quilt out (at least when I'm using a pattern!) and get careless I guess. I have a Shillouette Cameo that does a great job cutting fused applique or the freezer paper for hand turned applique, so would likely use the Accuquilt for more geometric shapes. It sounds like for starting out a 12" Cube would be a good starting point?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If the dies do cut the 2 HSTs, & 4 QSTs then it will be better than the Studio version which as I mentioned cut a SINGLE shape of each. One square, one HST etc. I hope they do post the outlines of the actual dies included so you can see exactly what's there!
If you look very, very closely at the photograph on the ordering page for any of the Qubes (the photo that shows all 4 boxes), you can tell how many shapes each die cuts. On the 12" Qube, I can see diagrams that show the dies for the squares cut 1, the die for the rectangles cuts 2 rectangles, the dies for the half-square triangles cut 2 triangles, and the die for the quarter-square triangles cuts 4 triangles. Here is a link to the page with the photo:
https://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-qu...nch-block.html

Edit: I think the Studio dies that cut only 1 of each shape must be the ones that come bundled as a starter set? Because many of the other Studio dies cut multiples of a shape. You can see some of the options here:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/cuttin...?technique=370

Last edited by Prism99; 11-02-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
... I think the Studio dies that cut only 1 of each shape must be the ones that come bundled as a starter set? Because many of the other Studio dies cut multiples of a shape. You can see some of the options here:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/cuttin...?technique=370
Yes, they are offered not as a starter set, but as a bundle:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/studio...ie-bundle.html
Same general shapes, but they only cut one of each. If you buy the shapes individually, you can select a die that cuts multiple. Sounds like the Qubes have a better layout, with additional cuts on most die blocks. Plus it is cute!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Plus it is cute!
LOL Cute wins when I'm in doubt.