Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Pfaff Expression 4.2 >

Pfaff Expression 4.2

Pfaff Expression 4.2

Old 04-25-2016, 04:46 AM

Question Pfaff Expression 4.2

Hi All - Is there anyone out that has one of these machines and if so how do you use it to quilt - I have just purchased and am getting my bobbin thread showing on my top - Also with the Dynamic Quilt foot does the foot bounce up and down as u sew - it doesn't seem to keep the quilt held down at all
Old 04-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

If this a sewing machine, unless you have the stitch regulator, you can't match the same speed at which the sewing machine can with doing FMQ so your bobbin thread will pop up. That is why I was taught back in the 90s to use the same thread on top and the bobbin. All feet used doing FMQing has to pop up to allow you to move the quilt. A walking foot will stay down since it moves the quilt as it stitches. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Some FMQ feet hop and some just hover over the sandwich.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 AM

I've been watching Westalee tutorials and a Craftsy class on how to use the rulers; the Craftsy class insisted that you pull up the bottom thread, presumably to avoid having it get caught on the underneath. I have this machine, but was unable to attend the 4 hour class on using some of its fine points. The next class is next month for me. I'd suggest that for special stitching you sign up for a course where you bought the machine, as it has a lot of unfamiliar (to me) settings.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 AM

There is a YouTube demo by Village Sewing that demonstrates the use of the machine, I haven't watched all of it as it is over an hour long. After watching watching his video of the Pfaff Performance 5 I ended up purchasing that machine.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 AM

I have the Quilt Expression 4.2. I absolutely adore this machine and have quilted many quilts, both SID and FMQ. The quilting foot that comes with the machine is a "hopping" foot of sorts. It only presses down on the sandwich when the needle comes down, and you must lock the presser foot lever in the half-way position or your thread tension will not set. The Pfaff foot is quite fragile (at least in my hands) and replacements are expensive so I switched to a universal hopping foot. I've been through a couple of them too, but they are less than half the price of the Pfaff foot. I find the universal foot is also sturdier and works just as well.

Do you have a Pfaff dealer nearby? They should be able to show you how it works for little or no cost.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 04-26-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM

There is an excellent youtube video on the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 machine made by http://www.villagesewing.com. It is 1 hr. 19 minutes long and covers everything about the machine. I highly recommend you watch it. I've seen it 2 times and return to if when I have a question. I have even called the store and spoken with John, the man in the video. He is very nice and loves talking about the Pfaff 4.2.