Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-t73825.html)

Marlys 12-11-2010 07:49 AM

I am way behind - I only have 10 string blocks done. Life keeps interrupting my sewing time! And I don't see any sewing time coming until maybe Tuesday! But it will get done eventually - no sense in stressing about it.

JeanieG 12-11-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by vbourck
I only have 30 string blocks done too, but may go ahead and do part 4 today as it is so easy and the string blocks are tedious to me. But they did go faster as I got going on them, so may try to get some more done today.

I got Part 4 cut out and most of the strips sewn last night. Will get that finished in no time today. Then back to strips for me too. I find myself having to cut more neutral fabric. It sure takes a lot!

Candace 12-11-2010 09:41 AM

I think I'm making more scraps than using, yet again. The scrap monster continues to grow.

vbourck 12-11-2010 08:51 PM

I got Part 4 cut out and most of the strips sewn last night. Will get that finished in no time today. Then back to strips for me too. I find myself having to cut more neutral fabric. It sure takes a lot![/quote]

I got part 4 done- so glad it was fast and easy. But I am getting low on neutrals and then part 4 needed neutrals too! Had to cut some more and may need even more to finish 30 more string blocks.
This really IS a mystery- I cannot figure out how these parts are going to come together. And we still haven't used the red "control" fabric either. This is going to be a huge quilt- will be a long wait until next Friday!

quilting cat 12-13-2010 09:17 PM

Just calculated the amount of scraps we need for the string pieced neutral squares -- 5 yards if pieces are all 2 1/2 inch strips!
:shock:
Gathering REAL SCRAPS, I am going to aim for 3 pounds. This IS supposed to help us reduce the scraps in our stashes -- I hope it will. I'm trying to force myself not to buy for this one-- grrr -- :x

Candace 12-13-2010 09:49 PM

Yup, lots of neutrals needed. Luckily, I have an enormous amount. It's just one of those weird paradoxes though. The more scraps I use, the more appear....it's like a bottomless well!

Post pictures of your string blocks, people! I'm maybe 1/2 way done with mine.

quilting cat 12-13-2010 10:14 PM

How do you keep up with starting this project at this time of year? I'm still giving top priority to finishing gifts!

omak 12-13-2010 10:20 PM

I am having computer problems, so that is why I have been so quiet.
Did I hear someone sigh with relief??? LOL
Anyway, I am finished with my string blocks, and completed the part 4 sewing. Tomorrow morning, I will start cutting the 2" foursies, etc. and trim my string blocks.
I will upload a picture of the untrimmed ones (I am sure) tomorrow morning so y'all can see what I have done (since y'all asked for pictures <g>) because the computer is going to the repair shop at 9 am ...
I pulled a different kind of neutral for Part 4. I figured if control was needed, I knew how to get that, so yes, I did pull out some different kinds of neutrals and greens.
Most of my strips for the blocks were 1.5" ... I am ending up with different kinds of scraps - - but, I am trying to figure out how to keep them sort of controlled so I can put them right into something else ...
Good luck, everyone! LOL <wave>

Suse 12-13-2010 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I am having computer problems, so that is why I have been so quiet.
Did I hear someone sigh with relief??? LOL
Anyway, I am finished with my string blocks, and completed the part 4 sewing. Tomorrow morning, I will start cutting the 2" foursies, etc. and trim my string blocks.
I will upload a picture of the untrimmed ones (I am sure) tomorrow morning so y'all can see what I have done (since y'all asked for pictures <g>) because the computer is going to the repair shop at 9 am ...
I pulled a different kind of neutral for Part 4. I figured if control was needed, I knew how to get that, so yes, I did pull out some different kinds of neutrals and greens.
Most of my strips for the blocks were 1.5" ... I am ending up with different kinds of scraps - - but, I am trying to figure out how to keep them sort of controlled so I can put them right into something else ...
Good luck, everyone! LOL <wave>

You're done? I only have 20 blocks so far...40 more to go and I haven't even started Part 4 yet...much less thought about Christmas. lol. 8-)

vbourck 12-14-2010 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[Post pictures of your string blocks, people! I'm maybe 1/2 way done with mine.[/quote]

I too am only half done with the strings, had to go back to working on some Christmas gifts. but did get pt 4 done as it was so easy. I posted my strings pictures on the Mystery Part 1 thread, here it is again. My strings are wider than many I have seen, gets them done faster that way. I am using some thrift store shirts in this quilt.