Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Fee's for YouTube Video's please say it isn't the future trend!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/fees-youtube-videos-please-say-isnt-future-trend-t218377.html)

2blackcats 04-06-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5981773)
Maybe it's just a Carol Doak thing. I sincerely doubt that Missouri Star Quilt Company will ever charge for their video tutorials

I think Missouri Star Quilt Company makes more money selling their fabric and probably won't start charging - at least I hope not. But they did come out with a magazine you have to pay for.

NanaBeez 04-06-2013 09:48 PM

Carol Doak has a lot of free patterns on her web site. If you are just learning how to paper piece she is the best. I took a class from her years ago and she was nice and patient and a great teacher.

Yooper32 04-07-2013 03:29 AM

I think that it is more likely that you are sent to Utube to sample the CD that comes with that particular book, to see if that is what you want to purchase. In order to save bandwidth, if you want to watch the whole thing, which is probably lengthy, then they want compensation for that time.

labtechkty 04-07-2013 03:37 AM

I sincerely hope this isn't the trend. I'm a visual learner and need someone to show me step by step instructions before it sinks into this challenged brain of mine. That's why I like MSQC's quilting videos...

Cogito 04-07-2013 04:20 AM

Michelleoc, charging for emails has been proven to be a myth! That is not going to happen.

Caswews 04-07-2013 05:01 AM

interesting for sure ..

lclang 04-07-2013 05:31 AM

If there is a charge I won't be watching them. If they don't sell they will have to go to plan B.

pocoellie 04-07-2013 05:39 AM

I have heard that they were going to start charging for watching all U tube videos, but haven't heard when, I guess this is the start of it.

Tothill 04-07-2013 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5982095)
Where on earth did you hear that? You are already paying for emails by paying for broadband.

Sending as well as receiving email uses considerable bandwidth which equals dollars. Companies that use newsletter services, Constant Contact, Mailchimp etc are paying an additional charge.

There is also a considerable cost to producing the emails, you can see which ones are more professional than others.

Facebook is now charging businesses to send updates to all the people who have liked their page.

It costs money to produce videos, I think we have been lucky to have free access to so many for so long. It also costs a lot of money to host videos, stream videos etc.

We often forget that as well as end users needing an internet connection, the video, needs to be uploaded to Youtube, stored there (storing and backing up data costs money), then there is the bandwidth to serve the video to you.

I am not surprised that people are looking to recoup some of their expenses.

quiltmom04 04-07-2013 07:10 AM

Since Carol Doak is in the business of making money from her books and classes, I doubt there would be much incentive to let you watch a free video of her technique on YouTube - or anywhere else. I would think YouTube will still have free videos, but perhaps business people are wising up and not giving their source of income away for free.