Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Hobby Lobby has muslin backing.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/hobby-lobby-has-muslin-backing-t216501.html)

Dina 03-16-2013 06:58 AM

Hobby Lobby has muslin backing....

A week ago I posted, asking if anyone knew if Hobby Lobby had muslin backing. ANd now I have the answer, in case anyone else was wondering....and I know it probably is different from one Hobby Lobby to another. I was just at our Hobby Lobby, and they had both white and unbleached muslin, in 90 inches and 108.

I was able to use my 40% off coupon too. I am one very pleased lady!

Dina

Quiltngolfer 03-16-2013 08:29 AM

Yes they always have it. I think Hancock's has it on sale this month too.

deedum 03-16-2013 04:45 PM

I had better go get some. I would like a bolt of it, but I don't think I will get this much. LOL

LAQUITA 03-16-2013 05:36 PM

What do you all use that much muslin for? Wall hangings or quilt backing? I thought most people tried to match the backing with the front of the quilt, maybe in a solid or something but to match.
I'm just curious, trying to learn something new.
Thanks for sharing.

Dina 03-16-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 5933028)
What do you all use that much muslin for? Wall hangings or quilt backing? I thought most people tried to match the backing with the front of the quilt, maybe in a solid or something but to match.
Thanks for sharing.

I have started using muslin backings on my quilts. I find that I tend to always have white in my quilts, and the white muslin looks good with that. The quilts that I don't have white in....well, they tend to be shades of beige, and the unbleached works well with that. About half my quilts have other fabric, but lately I have been leaning towards muslin. I think it is nice and soft too. I have been quilting for three years, and it is only in the last year that I have used muslin. Like I said, I like it...(I like not having to sew a seam down the middle of the backing, and I like the price. The backs of my quilts never show anyway. :) )

Dina

quiltlady37 03-17-2013 08:34 AM

I like muslin, if good quality, as it shows the quilting well. Also my family thinks if it is a traditional quilt pattern, that it should have muslin on the back as that is what was used many years ago.

roadrunr 03-18-2013 06:08 AM

I use muslin (both kinds) in the actual quilt itself. Sometimes I use it as sashings, sometimes as a color in the pieced block. I like the way it looks and the price of it is much better than other things. Wish they had black muslin!

MimiBug123 03-18-2013 06:19 AM

I like to use muslin for the backing because the more you use it, the softer it gets. I also like not having seams on the back.

Donna P 03-18-2013 07:01 AM

Ours doesn't have any muslin 90" or 108" yet at least the last time I was there a month ago. I'm gonna have to go look again.

DJinSC 03-18-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 5933028)
Thanks for sharing.

Laquita - my sewing teacher likes muslin for backing because it shows the quilting so well. I've bought it by the bolt and it's so handy to have on hand. The fact that you can get it so wide is wonderful so you don't have to piece it.