Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Maine Quilt Shops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/maine-quilt-shops-t227755.html)

quiltingwifechick 08-11-2013 03:09 PM

Maine Quilt Shops?

Hi there! DH & I are planning a trip to Maine. All the way up the coast to Houlton on Route 1.
Any quilt shops that I must stop at? I have stopped at one in Bath years ago & loved it. It was so charming.
thanks!!:)

IQ2 08-11-2013 03:20 PM

We visited Ogunquit ME last summer and I found Knight's Quilt shop right outside of town: 1901 US Rte 1
Cape Neddick, ME. It's a beautiful large house with wonderful fabrics and kits and sewing related gift items. They have a very special collection of toy sewing machines along the tops of all of their fabric shelves. I'd say it's a must-visit.
Enjoy your trip...I love Maine!

quiltingwifechick 08-11-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks IQ2! Will be checking it out!

Sabrina 08-12-2013 04:17 AM

Cottonweeds in Freeport is a must to stop at. The shop is absolutely priceless and the gals that work there
are wonderful. Take the time to check the upstairs classroom out. This shop is one of my favorites in Maine.
Enjoy you trip thru Maine.

FLQ 08-12-2013 04:44 AM

Mardens is not a quilt shop per se but a discount store that sells quilt fabric for lower cost. It's almost like Goods Store in E. Earl, PA. There are several locations but I prefer the location just North of Augusta, Maine and the one in Ellsworth, Maine. If you are in Ellsworth there is a shop, Sewing by the Sea, in Trenton, Maine on the road to Bar Harbor, Maine. It's small but has a very nice selection of fabrics.

joturner 08-12-2013 04:49 AM

Hi:

The Maine shops I go to are: Knights quilt shop, Cape Neddick on Rte 1. There is one in Windham Maine off the beaten path but worth the trip. In Freeport Maine there is Cottonweeds, a must stop. Kathies Quilt Shop is in Sanford Maine off the beaten path but very nice. There is one in Booth Bay Harbor and I have been there only once very nice.

When you get to Maine go to Knights first and she will have a list of all the shops in Maine and where they are. You will like that stop and you can even have a nice lobster roll there. Yummy.

JoAnne

joturner 08-12-2013 04:50 AM

Quilt shops in Maine

Hi:

The Maine shops I go to are: Knights quilt shop, Cape Neddick on Rte 1. There is one in Windham Maine off the beaten path but worth the trip. In Freeport Maine there is Cottonweeds, a must stop. Kathies Quilt Shop is in Sanford Maine off the beaten path but very nice. There is one in Booth Bay Harbor and I have been there only once very nice.

When you get to Maine go to Knights first and she will have a list of all the shops in Maine and where they are. You will like that stop and you can even have a nice lobster roll there. Yummy.

JoAnne

KathieS 08-12-2013 05:17 AM

Maine Quilt Shops

Originally Posted by FLQ (Post 6229687)
Mardens is not a quilt shop per se but a discount store that sells quilt fabric for lower cost. It's almost like Goods Store in E. Earl, PA. There are several locations but I prefer the location just North of Augusta, Maine and the one in Ellsworth, Maine. If you are in Ellsworth there is a shop, Sewing by the Sea, in Trenton, Maine on the road to Bar Harbor, Maine. It's small but has a very nice selection of fabrics.

I agree that Marden's is a great place for fabrics at very reasonable prices. There are many of these stores located only in Maine. There is a large one in Portland and good fabric ones in Sanford, Waterville and Brewer. If you google "Marden's Surplus" you will find Store info and a map of locations. I hope this helps !

quiltingwifechick 08-12-2013 05:59 AM

Kathie, Nova Scotia is on my bucket list!! DH & I would have visited last year while in Maine but no passports. This year we will have passports but not enough time. I think this will be my 4th visit to the Great State of Maine. We love it & have thought of moving, but family keeps us here.
Thanks everyone, I am really going to try to get to several of these & definitely Marden's. Fabric is a great souvenir for my mom! I will plot out these quilt shops & take a list with me & then plot out our 'potential' time frame in regard to driving. DH will let me stop for some, but not all! I would spend all of our vacation money if I did!!
Appreciate all of the feedback. Thank you!

sulyle 08-12-2013 06:40 AM

We just took a trip along the coast all the way to Lubec. It's so beautiful there. There's a quilt shop called Fabricate inBar Harbor that's nice. It's in a circular building that used to be a bank. The staff was very helpful.