Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   quilting stencils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/quilting-stencils-t17802.html)

Ninnie 03-22-2009 02:12 PM

after you finish your top and place all 3 layers together, you then quilt them all together, if you hand quilt, which I do. These are made of plastic and have slits in them so you can mark a desiqn on your top that you wish to quilt. Sometimes a pretty feather or flower or sometimes just grids. It is up to you how you want to finish your quilt. If you machine quilt you can also get stencils for that. Hopefully my order will come tomorrow and I will Post a Picture.I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. If you need more help just let me know :-) always glad to help!

sunnyhope 03-23-2009 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
after you finish your top and place all 3 layers together, you then quilt them all together, if you hand quilt, which I do. These are made of plastic and have slits in them so you can mark a desiqn on your top that you wish to quilt. Sometimes a pretty feather or flower or sometimes just grids. It is up to you how you want to finish your quilt. If you machine quilt you can also get stencils for that. Hopefully my order will come tomorrow and I will Post a Picture.I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. If you need more help just let me know :-) always glad to help!

I have never done this before so i dont know what i should start with............

Ninnie 03-23-2009 09:46 AM

waiting for the mail to run here, tapping my foot and waiting! :lol:

sunnyhope, I have sent you a pm if you are still online get back to me

sondray 03-23-2009 11:20 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't quite grab the concept of using stencils, is that when you use that Pounce stuff? Can you tell I'm a beginner, lol?

sewjoyce 03-23-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sondray
I was wondering the same thing. Didn't quite grab the concept of using stencils, is that when you use that Pounce stuff? Can you tell I'm a beginner, lol?

Sondray, You can use "pounce" or anything else to mark your top as long as it will brush/wash off. I like to use the "blue" pen that washes out with a spritz of water. I always get chalk everywhere (and I do mean everywhere) so the pen is a better solution for me. Of course, it take longer to mark... :roll:

Ninnie 03-23-2009 03:31 PM

The stencils have slits in them where the lines go. you can mark with chalk but I am too messy with it also. I use a Fons and porter mechanical quilting pencil. It comes with dark led for light cloth and white lead for dark cloth. You can also use a pen that disappears shortly after marking. I like using them if I am marking as I quilt! hope this helped some, I will post pic when stencils come. You can also use a light box to mark quilt top. Just put a light under glass table top and place design on top of table, then lay quilt top on top and the design will shine through. You can use anything for a pattern. I have used plates for curve quilting and made shell design from spools or small glasses. Any where your imagination takes you is alright! :D Ninnie in NC

Ninnie 03-25-2009 03:00 AM

update on stencils! They arrived here yesterday evening by UPS. They are BEAUTIFUL! If you all want me to, I can post pictures later on today! Just let me know! Ninnie in NC

sondray 03-25-2009 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
update on stencils! They arrived here yesterday evening by UPS. They are BEAUTIFUL! If you all want me to, I can post pictures later on today! Just let me know! Ninnie in NC

Yes, please post pictures, I'd love to see them.

pittsburgpam 03-25-2009 04:55 AM

Yes, I'd like to see them. I placed an order too so they should be here any day.

Ninnie 03-25-2009 07:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, girls her I go! stencils showed up about 8:00 last evening and I did a shouting happy dance! Glad there are no close neighbors here. Here are the pictures I promised One is just of the stencils and the other has a black square showing what it looks like after marking a stencil.The blue shows what it looks like after you quilt one. I am definitely NOT a teacher! heck, I've never even gotten to take a class! (no classes here in the boonies) :lol: :lol: So to the quilting police,have mercy, all stitches are not created equal, no matter how hard I try. If any questions just pm me. I love to share the love of quilting! Ninnie in NC

My New Stencils! Think I'll get out some of my UFOs!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27520[/ATTACH]

Samples
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27528[/ATTACH]