Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
QAYG without Sashing >

QAYG without Sashing

QAYG without Sashing

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

Default QAYG without Sashing

Candy Glendening of Candied Fabrics just released a new video on her method of doing QAYG without sashing. I am not affiliated with her in any way but found her method doable!

Here is the link:

http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/0...go-no-sashing/

Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Awsome! Thanks! Ann Petersen use a similar method in her Craftsy class; you split the batting to reduce the bulk. I have made a few twin quilts like this and it turn out great. Candy's method should work as well and would give you more freedom. I would make the manipulation of the sandwich easier. I hate, hate, hate the flattening part of sandwiching; working with smaller portion would be so great. I can't wait to try it.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the link. Very informative and great videos.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM

Have bookmarked, thank you for posting
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM

I really like this method and she did a great job of explaining it. Thanks for posting this great link.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 AM

Very good QAYG, Candy explained and show how to great!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 AM

thanks for the link what an awesome tutorial I bookmarked it and surely will do this on my very soon next quilt I did get lost when she showed how she did her cute lollipop quilt but that's just me.... clever lady whish I could think of techniques like that
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
thanks for the link what an awesome tutorial I bookmarked it and surely will do this on my very soon next quilt I did get lost when she showed how she did her cute lollipop quilt but that's just me.... clever lady whish I could think of techniques like that
That's why I think I will start out with a small quilt when I have mastered her technique on the quilt she demonstrated.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing that link!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that link!

I had been thinking of doing something like this, but seeing it done really helps. This would be a much faster way to quilt charity quilts than sandwiching and pin basting on a too-small table. Several things occur to me:

1) You would not need to zig zag non-fusible batting. You could use Elmer's glue on it. You would glue it first to the backing and then, if needed, put some glue on top of the batting and smooth the top over it.

2) You would not need fusible batting at all if you used Elmer's glue, and in doing so, you wouldn't have to press the quilt as often as she does. It seems to me a good idea to glue the batting to the back and then glue the batting to the top. Then quilt. You would use small drops of glue, of course.

3) You could easily use a walking foot and a decorative stitch to quilt. You wouldn't have to do fmq. In that case, you could do lines of stitching from top to bottom and side to side, or do diagonal lines, or big wavy lines, or something else. (For me, this means I could do piecing and quilting on the one Singer 500 in a cabinet I have in the living room and would not have to go downstairs when my knees are bad.)

4) For charity quilts, this cries for a scrappy backing. Regarding backing, I recently started using fabric off the bolt for backing homeless quilts as it was easier. I could do a horizontal piece of fabric as wide as needed, and then have one horizontal seam, letting the ~44 inch width be doubled for a quilt up to 88 inches. However, I would switch methods and make vertical seams (with either one fabric or scrappy) and quilt in rows, as she does. My quilts usually have more blocks down than across.

I think this method would require a lot less work and time!

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 01-17-2014 at 12:36 AM.