Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt as You Go

Quilt as You Go

A lot of commenters on my scrappy quilt seem interested in what quilt as you go technique I use. I am posting the link here too in case might be curious/interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48

It is Kaye Wood's six hour quilt technique. The video details her technique. I do not use the serger as she does, and it always takes me much much more than six hours. Her method is kind of a jumping off point for me. But I like her method because I do not have use the sashing unless I want to. I also tend to make six to eight inch strips.

She also has a booklet (which I purchased) for reference. It is a thin pamphlet so easy to read and use as you make your quilts.

Anyway, just sharing.

Serita

Quite a few years back I attended a class that Kaye Wood had demonstrating the 6 hour quilt. This quilt is a great project for charity quilts. You can make it bigger by adding more rows. I always use the serger on mine and it does go very fast
    Carmen E.

Kaye Wood does keep things simple in her instructions. Met her once at Quilt Market. A remarkable quilter.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Kaye Wood does keep things simple in her instructions. Met her once at Quilt Market. A remarkable quilter.
    Agree. I think anyone interested in a different type of quilt as you go can learn a lot. I don't use her method exactly as she described, but it works for me. I usually make queen size quilts using her method as a reference.

Serita

This is my latest finished quilt using her method as a reference.

Twin Scrappy

Serita

Thank you so much for posting the link. I really like the way she did this, without needing to sew on strips and hand sewing the back.

Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    Thank you so much for posting the link. I really like the way she did this, without needing to sew on strips and hand sewing the back.
    Works for me.

Serita

I also bought that book and I made my grandson a quilt. It took me longer than six hours as I kept changing my mind on the fabrics. I used a serger on mine and that did help with the joining seams. I should really make another one for granddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    A lot of commenters on my scrappy quilt seem interested in what quilt as you go technique I use. I am posting the link here too in case might be curious/interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48

It is Kaye Wood's six hour quilt technique. The video details her technique. I do not use the serger as she does, and it always takes me much much more than six hours. Her method is kind of a jumping off point for me. But I like her method because I do not have use the sashing unless I want to. I also tend to make six to eight inch strips.

She also has a booklet (which I purchased) for reference. It is a thin pamphlet so easy to read and use as you make your quilts.

Anyway, just sharing.

Serita

Quote Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
    I also bought that book and I made my grandson a quilt. It took me longer than six hours as I kept changing my mind on the fabrics. I used a serger on mine and that did help with the joining seams. I should really make another one for granddaughter.
    My serger didn't do so well with the layers. So I just sew the seams with my sewing machine.