Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good >

The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good

The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good

Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Default The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good

I have been limited to time on the QB due to family needs but wanted to let everyone know that The Quilting Hen is closed. Diane, the owner, started her sale in August to sell off inventory and all is done now. She sent an email today explaining the reason why after 15 years of excellent, exemplary and pleasant service she had to close the business. I have added it here for those of you who maybe went there in person or saw her at trade shows. I don't think the general public at large understands just how one supplier, partner or sponsor can impact the course of a business along with the increased shipping costs, payroll and slow economy. I think a lot of QB folks understand more than the general public as we have seen LQS, online shops and even a magazine go under. Business overhead expenses are something most have never even heard of unless they know a business owner. Unfortunately, that is why less than 50% of them make it past four years. With so many online and local quilt shops, it should not surprise anyone if a shop closes due to the any of the reasons Diane clearly states. I know many here on the QB support their local shops or the online shops but so many have cut back or put themselves on a fabric moratorium (some due to the economy and some due to the size of the stash). I applaud Diane for making a difficult but sound business decision. Sad it ended that way!

So in Diane's words:

The Quilting Hen
Greetings!

To my Dear Friends and Quilting Hen Supporters;

Today is October 6, 2014 and it has been a very unpleasant experience closing my store after 15 years, but I owe you an apology and explanation why the closure.

About 2 years ago, the fabrics/quilting industry began to take an extreme downturn. Along with economy, prices of fabrics, shipping and paying staff what they deserved to be paid was taking a toll. At that time, I came very close to closing the store, but thought I could make it work. I began working with a variety of magazines editors and fabric companies. That was the shot in the arm that this store need to keep going. All seemed to be fine and then on August 8, 2014, I received word that a major magazine publisher (the one I had been working with for 2 years) closed overnight. No notice to employees or anything just closed. I had contracts out for 2014-2015 to bring in the income for the store, but lost that overnight too. Being a PFAFF Sewing Machine Dealer harbors great financing and emotional responsibility to educate staff and make at least 4 trips per year for required events. We attended everything Pfaff Required from us since 2000 except when a flight from Great Falls was cancelled due to weather and Gary was unable to attend a meeting in Seattle. Why am I telling you this, we did everything we could to bring you the best sewing machine, education, training, classes and events possible. We were one of the stores to come to if you wanted to know about Pfaff and everything quilting and sewing had to offer. There was no store I visited in the US that came anywhere close to the quality and training The Quilting Hen store offered. Every time we went to meetings or traveled, Gary and I would check out these stores and were shocked at what they did not have or did not know.

My dream was to have my Operations Manager and her family open a Pfaff Dealership in Great Falls. With all the education, training and abilities she possessed, it would be a win win business. However, that was my dream not theirs. She took a job within the health care industry, so it looks like she will retire from the quilting venue for a while, possibly to return.

So back to the store, after the closure of the national publishing companies and fabric companies merging, looking at higher fabric prices, increased shipping (almost bi-weekly); the numbers were just not there for me to keep the doors open. The reason Gary sent out such a confusing email was that 2 ladies from Havre upset my OP Manager on Tuesday, Sept 30, 2014 so badly that Gary had enough of people being so mean and ugly about my closing and to my staff. When I heard "how dare I close this store" - that is when I had enough also. September 30, 2014 was the last day of business. The store phone, store email, and the store web site are no longer in service.

So to make sure I covered everything that I need to explain and apologize for; none of my staff wanted to continue with the Pfaff Dealership, the economy is still very unstable, the fabric industry is extremely soft and prices of everything quilting and sewing related are increasing almost daily. That is why the store closed, nothing more. I devoted 15 years to my internet customers, my local community, the Pfaff VSM Family along with the fabulous and talented people who worked for me. I appreciate every one of you and I hope that you will continue with your hobby and craft. If at all possible, please support your local stores and not the local fabric chain stores. Find forgiveness in your heart as Gary's email was only trying to protect myself and the ladies in the store from the mean and unnecessary comments that had been overwhelming to all of us. We just closed and nothing more. Best to all of you and have a great time with your family and friends in this fast approaching holiday season.

With Best Wishes, Diane Arganbright

Gary and Diane Arganbright
The Quilting Hen
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Thank you for posting this. I was an occasional on-line shopper of the Quilted Hen and had always been pleased with my purchases and the service.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:38 AM

The information regarding mfgrs of things related to us is a bit frightening........prices going higher.......wow, better be careful what we use our stashes for......let's hope the upward spiral halts......
Old 10-07-2014, 06:02 AM

How sad that people would be mean and nasty during such an emotional time. No one wants to close a business but sometimes they are forced to by events they can't control.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

How sad for the owners of this quilting shop and then for customers to be so down right mean about it over things that are not under their control. WOW ! People can be just nasty no matter where they are, I guess.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 AM

How sad that this had to happen. You always offered such excellent service. I pray that you will be able to find your niche in life and that you will be successful.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Thank you for posting her letter. It is a shame that she had to close and people reacting like that. We have lost 2 quilt shops this year near me. One owner was retiring and couldn't find a buyer. The other store's situation just didn't work out.

So now, we are down to two shops locally and another that is about an hour away. It definitely is a tight market these days.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 AM

I think the best way to go out of business is to celebrate the SUCCESSES of the business and not air the negatives.

15 years in business is awesome. Why air the negatives? Celebrate the positives. Thank the patrons and liquidate in style. Keep it upbeat. This letter is a downer. No "apologies" are needed.

Sandy
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally I believe they were keeping the Pfaff dealership and offering classes/maybe doing shows but apparently they came to the realization that they just needed to close the doors. I didn't view her letter as negative but as informative and outright honest. Most folks don't understand the workings of a business and I think she did a great job in explaining why she did. I also believe she clearly articulated how the "bad feelings" came about. When someone says, "How dare you close this store" and being mean and ugly to her staff- well that explains that-sounds like she and her staff were close. I never went to her store and only ordered once from them so I only know what I read. I appreciated her candor and extensive explanation. Just makes you wonder how many more of these will collapse.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM

I agree with AUQuilter , She did NOT have to explain anything but took time to explain the situation honestly & forth right . Shame on those whom were hateful to her staff after all the time & effort they all put forth to keeping this store open for 15 years ! I wish them ALL the best. ( May the mean & hatefuls have a difficult time finding any fabric to purchase!!! )