Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Re:***calling all longarm quilting***

Re:***calling all longarm quilting***

Some one asked the questions about using rulers with a longarm - my mom went to Harbor Freight and bought a small round handle (I think it attaches with suction). She put that on a straight ruler and she said it worked great because she had something to hold onto. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to stop at Harbor Freight soon. Happy New Year to all!

Hmmm, have to check that out!

we found out there was a Harbor Freight near us so hubby went - he said it is the JoAnn for guys. He also picked up all there rotary blades for me (carpet cutters they call them).....$1.99 for a 2 pack......

With a longarm you really need a ruler that is at least 1/4" thick. Some prefer 3/8". Anything less than 1/4" will eventually slip under the hopping foot, causing your needle to break and perhaps mess up the machine's timing. You didn't say what thickness your mom's straight ruler is, but please warn her to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    With a longarm you really need a ruler that is at least 1/4" thick. Some prefer 3/8". Anything less than 1/4" will eventually slip under the hopping foot, causing your needle to break and perhaps mess up the machine's timing. You didn't say what thickness your mom's straight ruler is, but please warn her to be careful.
    I agree with Dunster. You have to be careful of the rulers you use.

Where are these Harbor Freight stores, never have heard of them....
    llweezie

I think in the South they are called "Northern Tools". Figure that one out!!

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Here we have Northern Tools and Harbor Freight, so they must be two different stores.

We get the catologs in the mail and there is a store 45 miles from here in Ocala we hve been too when DH wanted something there. Of course if I want to go to Ocala to craft store, doesn't happen usually. Living here on W coast of central FL with alot of stores 25+ miles away, it is easier and cheaper to mail order.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/ will take you to their mail order, lots of neat stuff for the guys and even some for us.

I wish we had a Harbor Freight nearby. That place sounds fabulous! I love tools almost as much as fabric and sewing notions!