Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saw this on YouTube...Binding fast.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Saw this on YouTube...Binding fast.

I know this is mass production, but is there anything similar for domestic use? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg49c..._order&list=UL
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Wow, I'm glad I'm not her, she probably does this day in and day out.

Don't know if there is a domestic equivalent.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 06-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Mass produced quilts like that are the reason that we could never get what we have invested in a home made quilt. We spend hours making a quilt and they spend minutes....and make pennies.

I enjoy making quilts, and find the sewing of the binding to be therapy for me.

I would bet she can not stand to make them -
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Those feet only do single layers of fabric. I like my binding double layered.
    Bernie

I reviewed the info on this machine again & looked closely at the picture. It appears that the binding ends are left open on the bottom of the item. Probably won't work at all. Sorry.

This is a similar machine.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...ng_Sewing.html
    No details as to whether it sews a single layer or double layer binding. No price either.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. When I handsew binding on a lap quilt, even though I space it out over several days, I end up with not being able to close my hands, can't lift even a small pot, & taking Ibuprofen for a couple of days after the hand sewing. I am trying to figure out how to sew the double fold binding on by machine & make it look professional. Read into that...my seams aren't always as straight as I want them to be. I have tried the stitch in the ditch method & did not like it at all. Unfortunately, I am a little bit of a perfectionist. lol

I will continue to follow this thread to find out if anyone can figure out what machine the girl is using. I think I can figure out how to double fold with the seam to the inside so that I could use one like this to do my binding & have it look good & be sturdy. I even think the girl might be using a specialty adapted carpet binding machine. The device on the bed of the machine does resemble the Martelli Binding System.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-19-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: New Info
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Barb, I too have CTS. I use a tight elastic fingerless glove on my hands/wrists when I sew or hand stitch. Helps alot. Along with that I use Ibuprofen when I sew.

Similar to these. There are many different kinds out there.

http://www.activeforever.com/p-735-s...t-support.aspx
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I reviewed the info on this machine again & looked closely at the picture. It appears that the binding ends are left open on the bottom of the item. Probably won't work at all. Sorry.

This is a similar machine.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...ng_Sewing.html
    No details as to whether it sews a single layer or double layer binding. No price either.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. When I handsew binding on a lap quilt, even though I space it out over several days, I end up with not being able to close my hands, can't lift even a small pot, & taking Ibuprofen for a couple of days after the hand sewing. I am trying to figure out how to sew the double fold binding on by machine & make it look professional. Read into that...my seams aren't always as straight as I want them to be. I have tried the stitch in the ditch method & did not like it at all. Unfortunately, I am a little bit of a perfectionist. lol

I will continue to follow this thread to find out if anyone can figure out what machine the girl is using. I think I can figure out how to double fold with the seam to the inside so that I could use one like this to do my binding & have it look good & be sturdy. I even think the girl might be using a specialty adapted carpet binding machine. The device on the bed of the machine does resemble the Martelli Binding System.
    It's not a machine but an attachment that you screw into the bed of your machine. I have the attachment and was going to take a pic of it but for the life of me I can't find it now It was a bit pricey but I was never able to make it feed 2 layers of fabric without it skewing the layers...I guess you could glue the edges together... If anyone gets one and can make it work, please do a tute on this.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    I've this something like demonstrated on a Bernina on one of the tv quilt shows. But don't quote me...I could be wrong.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!

Vicki G - Have a Great Day !!
    www.vickigdesigns.com

My Elna 740 eXcellence has that exact same binder foot ... it works great!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast