Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Buster Quilt

Scrap Buster Quilt

Moda Bakeshop has this quilt made from two jelly rolls. http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/07/...uilt.html#more

However, if you're like me and have a lot of leftover 2-1/2" strips, this would be a great stash buster. I have a large drawer full of strips and I think I'll make this quilt with all those scraps. Should be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I like

Thank you for sharing this link, I love this quilt, bright, whimsical and looks easy to make. I printed off the pattern.
    Pat
    Patsy

Thanks I love this, and love the Moda Bake Shop. Think I will do in Halloween prints I have, with a black pinwheel.

Blog Entries
    here is a similar quilt pattern that was hanging up in my lqs. it looks good with scrap fabrics and the stars are more pronounced.

Name:  IMG00186.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  146.1 KB
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Quote Originally Posted by liminanc View Post
    Thanks I love this, and love the Moda Bake Shop. Think I will do in Halloween prints I have, with a black pinwheel.
    Oooh... that sounds too cute! If you do make that, please post pix because I'd LOVE to see it!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    here is a similar quilt pattern that was hanging up in my lqs. it looks good with scrap fabrics and the stars are more pronounced.

Name:  IMG00186.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  146.1 KB
    That's one beautiful quilt! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I like the quilt shop one better than the Moda one. They are the same except one uses a stip of 4 strips and one uses a strip of three strips. I think the stars show better on the 3 strip one. If you go to the Moda site, there is a comment there that names the pattern for the quilt shop one. It is by Jaybird Quilts called Unwind. ( I have no connection, just mentioning what I found). I really want to make it but the pattern is $10 plus shipping for what looks like a simple pattern. Call me cheap if you want, but I have a hard time paying that much for a simple pattern. I think I will try to alter the free Moda one for use with three strips and see what I get. Since I will be making my own measurements, and my quilt will be for a gift, not for sale, is this ethical to do?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfox View Post
    .... Since I will be making my own measurements, and my quilt will be for a gift, not for sale, is this ethical to do?
    why not? it will be your own version of the quilt. i am reverse engineering the quilt shop pattern myself using 2.5" strips for 6.5" unfinished blocks and the white strip looks to be half the w/l of the block to tamper to the edge of the block. easy to cut this from each block or make a template.

i plan to use this pattern to make a few quilts for quilts for kids. it's simple to do and should go pretty fast.

p.s. it almost does seem like the moda designer pirated the jaybird quilt pattern, changed it by adding another strip and making the background fabric slimmer and calling it another name. hmm... we really do borrow from each other's ideas.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 08-05-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    I love this idea. I have a drawer full of 2.5" strips.
    In my quilt lab!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast