Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Seeking Buying Advice >

Seeking Buying Advice

Seeking Buying Advice

Old 01-31-2015, 09:06 PM

Default Seeking Buying Advice

Hi there,
I'm considering buying a serger this year. I'm determined to buy from a dealer because I've heard that they receive a higher quality product than discount stores. The one that I want is "on sale" for $1500. Can I expect to find better prices from dealers at a sewing/quilting expo event? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 PM

I don't know about sergers but I bought my first "good" machine from a show. But I bought one they used for demos at the show. It was discounted as a used machine after three days of sewing.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

If its the SAME make/model ...... it is the SAME machine, whether bought at a dealer or a discount store, a sewing/quilting expo, online or IRL.

The only way you can really know about your "on sale" for $1500 being the best price is to comparison shop! Likewise re pricing at shows. Sometimes they are show only prices, but sometimes they honour the same price in the dealership for the month of the show. One show in particular I know that the show price is the same price as what is at all of the dealer's with in the same region, even though they are not part of the show. Although, sometimes the show deals add in something extra ....

One thing to check is the inclusions ..... what feet? what additional items? servicing? extended warranties? etc. ... so that when you add them up for an "apples-to-apples" comparison, you know how they truly compare.

All too often, I have seen/heard people say what a great deal something was ...... but they did not get the same as the other person, and when you compared "equally" ... the more expensive one, really was a much better deal!!!!!!!

Another possibility for reduced pricing is floor models and/or show demo machines. Also, second hand machines. You need to know where you stand for warranty and whether any drop downs in that regard are acceptable to you ...... and of course, the inclusions in the deal.

When buying new ... some dealers will guarantee a full refund value of your machine if you upgrade within a limited time (for mine, it's a year). If you are tempted by the higher end machine, but feel you just can't warrant it (financially or that you would never need it), it's a nice carrot to have dangling just in case that later, you say, I wish I would have ..................!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-31-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Babylock serger in the 90s when I worked at House of Fabrics. Hardly ever used it, such a waste of my money.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:13 PM

If buy from a dealer, check it out about free classes for that use of that model. I was able to get the classes, and tote bag, and four spools of thread when I purchased my babylock serger.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 AM

Smile sergers

Originally Posted by macgyver70 View Post
Hi there,
I'm considering buying a serger this year. I'm determined to buy from a dealer because I've heard that they receive a higher quality product than discount stores. The one that I want is "on sale" for $1500. Can I expect to find better prices from dealers at a sewing/quilting expo event? Thanks.
Hi,
I have owned 3 or 4 sergers over the past 25 years. The first I bought from a Jo Ann's store and I was aghast that I would pay $500 for a sewing machine. That's a barrel of laughs now. My latest embroidery machine was ~ $13,000. Thank God for interest free financing.
At any rate, the subsequent sergers were purchased from a dealer (Viking), and I continued to upgrade. Bernina also makes a very good serger. My current one (Viking) is the 4-6 spool which does the cover stitch, etc. Though I mostly use the 4 thread serge or rolled edge, the option to do cover stitch and other decorative functions is nice if you really get into it-and it's not possible to know that before you purchase your first one. I personally would not consider spending $1500 on a machine unless it was from a dealer who would offer free user classes for it, because there is obviously a learning curve for each new machine, no matter how experienced the sewer.
Plus you then have a warrantee and a certified repair person in case that is needed. For that $13,000 embroidery machine? It just spent 2 weeks in the hospital, had the motherboard and another electronic panel replaced- all under warrantee. As our beloved machines get more complicated, there is more to malfunction and the repairman is our permanent BF. Hope this is helpful~
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 AM

I have sewn for about 45 years. I had a cheap serger for awhile and hated it and finally a couple of years ago I did research for what I was looking for in a serger. One thing I knew I wanted was a built in needle threader and something that was easy to thread. I bought a Juki 734 DE and LOVE it. I think it cost me about 900. and was worth every penny. I had to buy online because I do not have any place local that sells machines. Once I knew what I wanted, I just checked around for price and quality of the place I was dealing with. Here is a link to my machine on
amazon. http://www.amazon.com/MO-734DE-Threa.../dp/B008MBXA6A
Old 02-02-2015, 05:30 AM

I just purchased a Babylock with self threading... oh what a dream .. a serger that I don't dread threading!The self threading is pricey luxury but it was so worth it . My old serger was more than 35 years old and was dreadful to thread, now I am a very happy camper and will use it more and be more confident.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 AM

I would check for the lowest priced Babylock with jet air threading, then see what extra feet you can get...at the dealer. Otherwise, you could look for a used Babylock, infact your dealer may have one. I picked one up at an estate sale for $450...it was an Imagine with jet air threading.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I feel more prepared for when I go in to buy, knowing what sorts of value-added items can be had. I'll admit, I am looking at the Babylock Imagine. Even my non-sewing husband agrees the cost is worth it for that jet air threading, especially when I plan to change thread often!