Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Quilting with arthritis tips

Sewing Quilting with arthritis tips

I was on Jeni's blog site to view her quilting/crafting tutorials. (Good tutorials)

While there I ran across her tips for quilting with arthritis. The tips are great for everyone. Very positive.

http://www.incolororder.com/2012/08/...arthritis.html
    Carol

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY

Very good advice. Thanks for sharing.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Very helpful reminders and thanks for sharing !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Very informative ... osteo arthritis was diagnosed when I was 36 years old and the doctor told me to keep working for 'as long as you are able'. When I reminded him I was 30 years away from retirement age, he just repeated the statement. I can no longer keep pills in a closed hand because they don't close, had to have my left thumb fused, had a bone taken out of my wrist (or what was left of the bone after arthritis ate away at it), my fingers are crooked, I sometimes strike the letter on the keyboard next to the one I intended (because that's the direction my finger now points). That being said, I told my my doctor I refuse to age gracefully, I'm going kicking and scream every step of the way ... and now I'm only 6 years from retirement (if there's anything left in the social security fund when I get there).

I try to pick tools that make life easier and do less at a time but I'm not giving up my quilting and sewing passion.

Girl Power!!!!

BCM
    Thank you for sharing. I am just beginning to have dexterity difficulties.

A very helpful post. Thanks for sharing.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

I really appreciate your telling us about the blog. I don't belong to a guild anymore, and when we work, alone, day after day it's easy to forget that other quilters have aches and pains too. I often feel I'm climbing a mountain alone. I'm going to try some of her suggestions, but I believe the most important is pacing yourself according to your own body's needs -- and our bodies don't hesitate to tell us what we're doing wrong! Not being able to produce as much as we used to is very frustrating, but I try to remind myself that there are others much worse off than I am.